The R programming language is known for its large community and libraries for data analysis. Dedicated R software engineers can process, cleanse, and transform data for research, work with statistics, run an exploratory analysis, etc. This programming language is used in different areas. For instance, it is extremely suitable for solar engineering services.
The Rapid Development of Solar Engineering Services
The solar energy market has once again achieved a new record yearly increase rate of 18%, with a lot of solar power plants installed worldwide in 2022. Luckily, worldwide demand for solar plants has not diminished by any means. The solar industry coped with a crushing global pandemic, even though COVID-19 lasted longer than anticipated. In addition, the development of technology has helped because an experienced engineering team can develop innovative products for power generation and storage.
The published preliminary data on the development of solar energy in European countries. Germany is still in the lead, with Turkey in second place and the Netherlands in third.
According to statistics from SolarPower Europe, the European market grew significantly in 2018. In 28 EU countries, 8 GW of solar power plants were commissioned, a 36% increase over 2017. At the same time, 11 countries have already exceeded their commitments to renewable energy and have reached the 2020 level. The broader Euro market, which includes Turkey, Ukraine, Norway, Switzerland, Serbia, and Belarus, also showed 11 GW of growth, up 20% from a year earlier.
The largest solar energy market on the European continent in 2018 was once again Germany, with a new SES with a total capacity of 3 GW. Turkey, due to the high rate of market development over the past two years, took second place (1.64 GW). The Netherlands, which also set a national record of 1.4 GW of commissioned SES, placed third at the end of the year.
Experts believe that the solar industry will grow even further in 2022 – the growth of solar power in Europe will be affected by such factors as the abolition of tariffs on Chinese solar panels and the competitiveness of industrial photovoltaic solar power stations.
The global solar industry’s success is based on many things. One of them is the leadership in the value of the electricity produced, which keeps getting better. The other is universality: solar energy covers a broad spectrum of electricity consumption at different levels, from extremely low residential systems to big businesses, from individual stand-alone systems to integrated solar power systems in sheds, multi-family houses, several or agricultural greenhouses. There are also mobile photovoltaic systems and stand-alone solutions for electrifying rural areas. It is the stand-alone solutions – small photovoltaic systems, off-grid systems, and mini-grids – that are attracting increasing attention. These are also markets of gigawatt-scale with double-digit increases in the years ahead. Plus, a solar photovoltaic plant can be designed and built faster than other power plants.
Outsourcing in Modern Business
For modern business, keeping a big staff is unprofitable and inefficient. It is more rational to outsource part of the tasks to another organization. Every entrepreneur must know what it is – outsourcing or outsourcing company, what the concept means in simple words, and after studying examples of such a variant of forming the work process, to decide whether it is necessary for its activities. So outsourcing is the involvement in the work of the company of specialists from outside to perform any non-core functions.
Differences from other forms of cooperation:
· The outsourcing agreement is valid for a long period of time.
· Only secondary operations (creation of websites, advertising, cleaning of premises, etc.) are outsourced to contractors.
· It also involves the outsourcing of business activities (recruitment, maintenance, work with accounting, etc.).
Let’s look at the main options when outsourcing is appropriate:
1. A small company does not have enough money to fully maintain and pay all of its employees or their services are needed not permanently, but once in a certain period. In both cases, it is much more advantageous to hire an outside organization that will perform one-time or periodic work.
2. If a large firm has many non-core subdivisions that do not bring profit, but are involved in service – it is bad for the overall reporting.
3. If the firm is unable to allocate sufficient funds to non-core activities – it is unable to compete in the employment market, so finding employees often becomes a problem.
4. The office needs to reduce staffing or payroll costs. It also happens that the accounting department needs to report or achieve the planned average salary level of the staff. This is helped by outsourcing low-paid categories, for example, cleaning, canteen, transport.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Outsourcing Solar Engineering
The outsourcing process is a special format of work, which in practice acquires advantages and disadvantages. Understanding them, you can decide for yourself what is better to entrust to outside workers and what to distribute to the staff.
The advantages include:
· the ability to focus on core activities without being distracted by additional tasks;
· obtaining services from highly qualified workers;
· guarantees of requirements and deadlines and, accordingly, receiving the expected result;
· saving money on salaries;
· reduction of obligations to the tax authorities.
The disadvantages include:
· The inability to make adjustments to the terms of the contract. You can entrust your own person with a number of tasks, assign him functions that are not part of the direct job description, and at the same time do not charge a salary. And the outsourcer works solely within the framework of the contract.
· The difficulty of introducing an employee to the nuances of the company’s work.
· Impossibility to evaluate the potential of attracted professionals.
· Possibility of miscommunication between regular and contracted specialists.
· Possibility of downtime. For example, the repair of equipment in production is outsourced. By the time a specialist arrives, an in-house technician, who is always at his place, could fix the problem several times faster on his own.
Outsourcing solar plant management allows you to streamline workflow to help you to produce energy and save costs.
The Main Advantages of Outsourcing Solar Engineering:
1) To Keep the Continuity
Finding good employees is known to be one of the hardest parts of running a business. The solar industry is no exception. The issues may include difficulties with finding skilled candidates with proficiency in such new technology by affordable software engineer salary. Rooftop solar is a relatively new field. Because of the required credentials and education needed to serve in engineering roles, the talent pool for qualified candidates is not very large. That is why staff turnover can be disruptive to a company’s business. Solar companies can reduce the risk of malfunctions and keep working if an employee leaves with outsourcing.
2) Employee Agility
Any company can experience downturns and swings in demand, including solar energy companies. Being able to employ remote software engineer as needed can save a huge amount of money and prevent redundancies caused by a lack of cash flow. During such downturns, company resources can be better spent on business growth.
3) Concentration on Primary Activities
It is best to spend the company’s resources on developing and improving its core business while outsourcing auxiliary or non-core functions. The main function of a solar company is to install the largest number of solar panels in the shortest amount of time with the highest quality performance. Hiring a dedicated team for design only means diverting resources from the company’s core activities.
4) Access to Expert Knowledge
Accurate solar system design requires electrical and structural engineering specific to each, as well as a thorough understanding of specific codes and regulations. Solar system companies can gain from the collaborative expertise of a design-oriented firm rather than their own mistakes.
5) Sharing Risk
Respected engineering firms are responsible for their work and have large insurance policies specific to the field. With outsourcing, some or even all of the responsibility can be shifted to them, depending on the situation.
The Main Disadvantages of Outsourcing Solar Engineering:
1) No Quality Control
One of the biggest disadvantages of outsourcing is the lack of complete quality control. The way to solve this problem:
· Continually update and modernize our services
· Follow competitors and industry standards to exceed expectations each time.
· Use the latest technology and tools to provide accurate and constant quality.
· Look for feedback whenever you can
2) Limited Service and Support Access
With no control over operations, you are at the power over the outsourcing company’s operational rules.
3) Working Process Clarity
Project status and priority information are not always easily accessible, which can lead to incorrect scheduling and execution.
4) Concealed and Undefined Costs
Complex cost and pricing structures can result in surprisingly high bills that can be more than the project budget.
5) No Commitment
The truth is that no one will be more dedicated to your work than you are. That’s why some companies hesitate to outsource.
Role of R Software Engineer in the Solar Industry
The R programming language is commonly used in the solar energy industry. It is free, and a simple calculation is easy to perform with some basic statements. The solaR package enables repeatable studies of both PV system capacity and solar radiation. It contains a package of classes, techniques, and features for computing the sun’s geometry and the solar radiation falling on a photovoltaic generator, as well as for modeling the output of multiple PV power applications. The package handles the entire computation process from every day and intraday global horizontal exposure to the eventual output of connected PV systems and PV systems for water pumping.
While solaR is intended primarily for position-related time series determined by latitude/longitude data, thermal and radiation conditions, it could be readily integrated with space packs for Spatio-temporal analysis.
What You Can Do With R Language:
· Process, cleanse, and transform data for research. For example, you want to see how many users on average downloaded your mobile app in a specific term. R lets you filter everything according to your needs for future forecasts.
· Run statistical tests. In case you want to calculate the difference between men’s and women’s life expectancy. Such tests let you get statistical audits with the help of t-tests.
· Run an exploratory review. The data needs to be analyzed for actuality by some statistical methods (e.g., t-test) that require a normal distribution in the raw data. A normal distribution implies that a significant part of data is clustered around the mean value, and the remaining values are much smaller.
· Variants of normal distribution: most of the data is clustered around the mean value.
· Work with tables of different formats. This is useful for analysts: for example, to combine data from several .csv and .xlsx tables and process them as a single file.
· Draw an interactive chart and adjust its parameters, such as axis values and so on.
· Create an interactive application. The result is a nice-looking web page with a graph, filters and sorting data. You can send it to your colleagues or publish it as a part of your article.
· Analyze regression models. Regression analysis is a technique that reveals the relationship between the dependent and independent variables. For example, an analyst wants to understand why some stores in a chain have higher sales than others. The dependent variable would be the volume of sales, and several independent variables would be income and age of neighborhood residents and the distance from the store to bus stops. As a result, it is possible to find out which of these factors affects store sales more than others.
R programming language is widely used
The tool that is highly popular for scientific and statistical calculations is the R programming language. PYPL considers it as the seventh most used programming language. Software engineer salaries vary from country to country. The average gross monthly wages of R-developers in 2020 are as follows: about $6,250 in The United States; about $6,300 – in The United Kingdom; about $2,300 – in Ukraine; about $9,000 – in Switzerland.
R programming language is widely used as a statistical software for data analysis and has actually become a standard for statistical programs. It is therefore of great importance in the solar industry. Experienced software development companies will help you to build a successful business and help you with hiring a dedicated R software engineer.
Kateryna Boiko is a Marketing Director at Mobilunity, Provider of Dedicated Development Teams with 9 years of hands-on experience in digital marketing.
Kateryna managed to work with diverse industries and markets and now is keen on sharing unique cases with the world and coach on topics relevant to Web Analytics and Search Engine Optimization.