Solar Market Outlook in Zimbabwe
The Zimbabwe government has recently launched its National Renewable Energy Policy. They have obtained assistance from the World Bank in order to procure large scale solar PV projects. The World Bank has opened a tender via the African Power Platform in order to boost the renewable energy capacity.
Solar is the primary source of energy among independent power projects in Zimbabwe. As of July 2021, there were seven new solar PV projects that were installed with a solar capacity of 66 MW. These projects are expected to become ready and fully functional by the end of 2021, which should boost the country’s solar and renewable energy industry.
The new solar developments are also proof that there are adequate regulations in place in Zimbabwe designed to benefit investors and consumers alike. The government is hoping to maintain policies that will encourage more investors in the future.
By the end of 2020, Zimbabwe has reached 17 MW capacity in solar installations. They are targeting to reach 1GW of capacity by 2025.
Solar Energy Equipment Supply Capacity in Zimbabwe
As of now, there are limited options for suppliers and distributors within Zimbabwe. Individual and commercial consumers of solar installations do have access to global suppliers, as well as those from neighboring countries.
Top 8 Major Seaports & Logistics in Zimbabwe
There are various ports and logistics companies operating in Zimbabwe to maximize the ability to transport solar power equipment. The top ports available in Zimbabwe are
- Thompson Junction,
- Victoria Falls,
What is an Electric Panel for Solar Plants?
Electrical panels consist of various connectors and switches that regulate the current flow from the solar power plant to the circuits. In simple terms, solar panels are interconnected to one point, after which the electrical panel and the circuit breaker act as a barrier. All the appliances and electrical equipment are present after this barrier.
How Does the Electric Panel work?
High voltage from the power line or the solar feed goes into the electric panel box and gets distributed to various parts of a house or office premises. Each distribution line gets connected to a Miniature Circuit Breaker. These circuit breakers trip by a short circuit to avert the danger of fire.
What Are Some applications of Electric Panels?
Electric power acts as an interface between the high voltage power line and household circuitry. Irrespective of the source, the electric panels are selected based on the power and current values. Here are some of the applications of Electric panel systems.
- Solar power: Electric Panels get connected to the power line coming from the solar energy system. The current gets distributed to various circuits inside the house.
- Conventional power line: Conventional power lines transmit power to the households. Here a main electrical panel box is installed along with the circuit breakers. This box contains the main switch which in case of emergencies can turn off the power of the entire house.
Types of Electric Panels for Solar Projects
Electric panel category based on the power capacity
- Main Panel: This is a high-capacity Electric panel box installed in any house.
- Sub Panel: These are small panels connected to the main Electric Panel. They are part of the circuit and are present in the various sections of large households.
- Lug Panel: Lug panel has no circuit breakers.
- Fuse Box: Comes with fuse connections that protect the circuits from high voltage surges.
Electric panel category based on the application
- 100 to 150 Amps: Old types of Electric panels not used anymore.
- 200 Amps: Electric panels with a capacity of 200 Amps are the most commonly used power panels.
- 400 Amps: Big houses with high power consumption and high power appliances use 400 Amps electric panels.
Some known brands of Electric Panel for Solar Plants
One of the most innovative companies making electric panels for solar plants is SPAN. Founded by a Tesla employee, SPAN makes Smart Electric power panels. They are used with Smart devices to control the power supply.
Some of the other manufacturers and suppliers are:
- Digital Analysis Corporation