Solar Market Outlook in South Africa
South Africa is striving to reduce its reliance on the state-owned utility for electric generation. Therefore, it is exploring sustainable solutions and renewable energy sources like solar provides the most viable answer. In addition, the current electric utility is unable to meet the power demand due to operational and financial issues.
The South African government recently considered solar and renewables to address power shortage. The South Africa Photovoltaic Industry Association reported that the new PV systems installed in the country generated a total capacity of 1,313 MW. Of the new installations, about 813 MW of them were dedicated for utility scale and the remaining 500 MW were from distributed generation arrays. By the end of December 2020, the total solar capacity in South Africa reached 4,172 MW. The residential installations contributed to 20% of the country’s current solar capacity.
The continued expansion of solar capacity in the commercial and industrial scale has prompted the government to continually evaluate its policies. It is also integrated into the government’s post-covid economic recovery plans.
Solar Energy Equipment Supply Capacity in South Africa
If you are looking for solar equipment suppliers in South Africa, there are plenty of options. You can also find numerous global and online suppliers and distributors to meet your solar power requirements.
Top 8 Major Seaports & Logistics in South Africa
The coast of South Africa provides easy access to trade and logistics activity. The following are the major ports in the country:
- Port of Durban,
- Port of Richards Bay,
- Port Elizabeth,
- Port of Cape Town,
- Port of Coega,
- Port of East London,
- Port of Saldanha.
What is an Electric Panel for Solar Plants?
Electrical panels consist of various connectors and switches that regulate the current flow from the solar power plant to the circuits. In simple terms, solar panels are interconnected to one point, after which the electrical panel and the circuit breaker act as a barrier. All the appliances and electrical equipment are present after this barrier.
How Does the Electric Panel work?
High voltage from the power line or the solar feed goes into the electric panel box and gets distributed to various parts of a house or office premises. Each distribution line gets connected to a Miniature Circuit Breaker. These circuit breakers trip by a short circuit to avert the danger of fire.
What Are Some applications of Electric Panels?
Electric power acts as an interface between the high voltage power line and household circuitry. Irrespective of the source, the electric panels are selected based on the power and current values. Here are some of the applications of Electric panel systems.
- Solar power: Electric Panels get connected to the power line coming from the solar energy system. The current gets distributed to various circuits inside the house.
- Conventional power line: Conventional power lines transmit power to the households. Here a main electrical panel box is installed along with the circuit breakers. This box contains the main switch which in case of emergencies can turn off the power of the entire house.
Types of Electric Panels for Solar Projects
Electric panel category based on the power capacity
- Main Panel: This is a high-capacity Electric panel box installed in any house.
- Sub Panel: These are small panels connected to the main Electric Panel. They are part of the circuit and are present in the various sections of large households.
- Lug Panel: Lug panel has no circuit breakers.
- Fuse Box: Comes with fuse connections that protect the circuits from high voltage surges.
Electric panel category based on the application
- 100 to 150 Amps: Old types of Electric panels not used anymore.
- 200 Amps: Electric panels with a capacity of 200 Amps are the most commonly used power panels.
- 400 Amps: Big houses with high power consumption and high power appliances use 400 Amps electric panels.
Some known brands of Electric Panel for Solar Plants
One of the most innovative companies making electric panels for solar plants is SPAN. Founded by a Tesla employee, SPAN makes Smart Electric power panels. They are used with Smart devices to control the power supply.
Some of the other manufacturers and suppliers are:
- Digital Analysis Corporation