A summary of Sint Maarten’s solar markets
In 2014, Sint Maarten’s council of ministers sanctioned the National energy policy document. This document was supposed to usher in a new era of renewable energy in the Caribbean Island country. More specifically, the policy document envisioned an 80% renewable energy capacity by 2020. Unfortunately, none of the targets outlined in the document have been achieved.
According to an Energy Transitions Initiative (ETI) report released in 2021, Sint Maarten is 100% dependent on fossil fuels. This is pretty heartbreaking, considering that solar energy exploitation has taken the world by storm. However, the report notes that several private initiatives to exploit the Island’s solar energy potential have been observed recently.
Most leading hotels and resorts in Sint Maarten are increasingly adopting solar for their daily energy needs. Such private initiatives present enormous opportunities for solar installers and other photovoltaic professionals in Sint Maarten. You can land one or more of the personal solar projects sprouting up on the Island with a bit of determination.
Solar equipment supply capacity in Sint Maarten
There are several local and overseas suppliers of solar equipment serving Sint Maarten. Most local manufacturers cannot supply equipment for large-scale projects. Nevertheless, there is no need for concern because Solarfeeds has got you covered. If you go through our website, you will see an extensive list of solar equipment suppliers.
Solarfeeds connects you to leading solar equipment brands worldwide. Essentially, you don’t have to spend your time contacting multiple suppliers to request quotes. Just go to our inquiry page and fill in a request for quotations.
Ports and logistics in Sint Maarten
As I mentioned earlier, you may have to import specific equipment if you get a chance to work in Sint Maarten. The Island boasts of an advanced port infrastructure that facilitates the shipping of equipment from various markets. Its logistics sector is also one of the most reliable in the Caribbean Islands. Some of the ports you might want to consider using include;
- ü The port of Philipsburg
- ü The port of St. Maarte
Solar Pole Mounts System
When it comes to solar panel installation mounting systems should be taken seriously and professionally. The mounting system should be appropriate for the solar photovoltaic system’s design and function. Besides, these installation processes provide the structural support that solar panels need to reach their optimum tilt. An improper mounting system can also affect the overall performance of the entire solar power system. Thus, it’s essential to understand the different types of solar mounting systems.
What is Pole Mounting System?
Pole mounting system is a type of ground-mounted solar installation that uses a pole to support solar PV panels. Unlike rooftop solar panel system installation, pole mounting systems are not required to fix solar panels at the roof shingles. If you don’t prefer to mount these panels to your roof, then using a pole mount for your PV system can be a good alternative.
The Pole mount system is quick and easy to install and can provide a good option to mount your solar panels beyond reach but are still off the ground and away from harmful elements. You can easily access them for angle adjustment and cleaning or maintenance purposes compared to the solar panels installed on your rooftop.
What are the Features of a Solar Pole Mount System?
Below are the common features of a standard solar pole system:
- Single-Pole- since your solar panels are elevated on a single pole for free stand support, you can easily mount them on most of the ground surfaces.
- Compact structure – solar pole mounting system has a compact structure, which is suitable for small quantities and capacities of PV modules. They are easy and quick to assemble ideal for a small power station.
- Adjustable angles – it has adjustable angles for maximizing the optimized power generation.
- Frame / frameless solar panels – you can use either of the two PV modules for a pole mounting system.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Pole Mounting System
To help you decide whether to choose a pole mounting system or not, we have listed here some of its benefits and drawbacks. I hope this would help you to arrive at your final decision.
Benefits of Pole Mounting System
- Quick and easy installation process – pole mounting is one of the common types of solar installation due to its easier and quicker installation process that takes only a few hours.
- Maximize open space – if your property is near to unused open space, pole mounting can give you the leeway to make use of it in the most efficient way.
- Fewer restrictions and installation requirements- with pole mounting, there are fewer requirements on how and where you can install your solar power system. As long as you have a large open area, you can set up your solar panels easily.
- Equipped with an advanced tracking system – a pole mount solar installation also include a sun tracking system that will help you monitor whether your panels are getting enough sun exposure and maximum productivity throughout the day.
Drawbacks of Pole Mounting System
- Requires large vacant land space – pole mounting needs large open areas to install your solar panels. If you don’t have unused land space or living in a dense urban community then it would not fit your solar needs.
- Mostly restricted to some areas – Municipal bylaws and community homeowners associations sometimes limit the use of these solar installations due to their unsightly presence.
- Additional hardware – pole mount systems often require additional hardware, which adds up to the initial installation cost.
If you don’t want to damage your roof shingles by installing a solar panel system or you only want to supplement your roof-mounted system with additional solar panels for more capacity, then a pole mounting system is perfect for you. After all, investing in a pole-mounted solar system will generate a better ROI over time.