A summary of Sint Maarten’s solar markets
In 2014, Sint Maarten’s council of ministers sanctioned the National energy policy document. This document was supposed to usher in a new era of renewable energy in the Caribbean Island country. More specifically, the policy document envisioned an 80% renewable energy capacity by 2020. Unfortunately, none of the targets outlined in the document have been achieved.
According to an Energy Transitions Initiative (ETI) report released in 2021, Sint Maarten is 100% dependent on fossil fuels. This is pretty heartbreaking, considering that solar energy exploitation has taken the world by storm. However, the report notes that several private initiatives to exploit the Island’s solar energy potential have been observed recently.
Most leading hotels and resorts in Sint Maarten are increasingly adopting solar for their daily energy needs. Such private initiatives present enormous opportunities for solar installers and other photovoltaic professionals in Sint Maarten. You can land one or more of the personal solar projects sprouting up on the Island with a bit of determination.
Solar equipment supply capacity in Sint Maarten
There are several local and overseas suppliers of solar equipment serving Sint Maarten. Most local manufacturers cannot supply equipment for large-scale projects. Nevertheless, there is no need for concern because Solarfeeds has got you covered. If you go through our website, you will see an extensive list of solar equipment suppliers.
Solarfeeds connects you to leading solar equipment brands worldwide. Essentially, you don’t have to spend your time contacting multiple suppliers to request quotes. Just go to our inquiry page and fill in a request for quotations.
Ports and logistics in Sint Maarten
As I mentioned earlier, you may have to import specific equipment if you get a chance to work in Sint Maarten. The Island boasts of an advanced port infrastructure that facilitates the shipping of equipment from various markets. Its logistics sector is also one of the most reliable in the Caribbean Islands. Some of the ports you might want to consider using include;
- ü The port of Philipsburg
- ü The port of St. Maarte
What Is a Hybrid Solar System?
As the name suggests, a hybrid solar system is a solar system that combines the best characteristics from both grid-tie and off-grid solar systems. In other words, a hybrid solar system generates power in the same way as a common grid-tie solar system but uses special hybrid inverters and batteries to store energy for later use. For this reason, hybrid solar systems are oftentimes described as off-grid solar with utility backup power or grid-tie solar with extra battery storage.
What Are the Advantages of a Hybrid Solar System?
Hybrid solar systems offer two primary advantages to their potential users. These advantages are as follows:
Hybrid solar systems are less expensive than off-grid solar systems. With this kind of solar system, it is not needed to have a backup generator, and the capacity of the battery bank can be downsized. Additionally, off-peak electricity from the utility is also cheaper than diesel.
The introduction of hybrid solar systems has opened up many interesting innovations. New inverters let homeowners take advantage of changes in the utility electricity rates throughout the day. Case in point: solar panels happen to output the most electrical power at noon — not long before the price of electricity peaks — but though that’s the case, the building can be programmed to consume power during off-peak hours (or from the solar panels). Long story short, smart solar such as the hybrid PV system holds a lot of promise.
What Are the Equipment Needed for Hybrid Solar Systems?
Typical hybrid solar systems have the following additional components:
- Solar Charge Controller. Solar charge controllers, also known as charge regulators or battery regulators, limit the rate of current being delivered to the battery bank and protect the batteries from overcharging.
- Battery Bank. As the name suggests, a battery bank is a group of batteries that are wired together.
- DC Disconnect Switch. AC and DC safety disconnects are required for all solar systems. But just like an off-grid solar system, a hybrid solar system requires one additional DC disconnect to be installed between the battery bank and the inverter. This is used to switch off the current flowing between these components. The DC disconnect switch is important for maintenance, troubleshooting, and protection against electrical fires.
- Battery-Based Grid-Tie Inverter. Hybrid solar systems utilize battery-based grid-tie inverters. These devices combine can draw electrical power to and from battery banks, as well as synchronize with the utility grid.
- Solar meter. Essentially, a solar meter is a device that is used to measure kWh production from a solar system. Solar meters collect PV yield production and local energy consumption to monitor and analyze PV plant performance.
Why Buy Wholesale Inverters for Hybrid PV Systems from Us?
Our website lists all sorts of inverters for hybrid PV systems from established and well-respected manufacturers and brands all over the world. As a result, you can expect that the hybrid solar inverters that we offer are of the best variety. They are characterized by numerous remarkable features, such as higher efficiency, sturdy construction, and a longer lifespan. In other words, all the hybrid solar inverters that we offer will undoubtedly have the ability to fulfill all your solar power needs.
If you want to buy inverters for hybrid PV systems at low wholesale prices, then go through our website to explore products with profitable deals. You can also choose to send in your query at [email protected]