A Brief Analysis of Malta’s nascent solar market
The Maltese consume an estimated 2.12 billion Kilowatts-hours of electricity per year. This energy consumption rate is the second-lowest across all European Union member states. Malta does not have any domestic fuel resources thus, forcing it to rely on imported fossil fuels. However, the country is working towards a renewable energy future under the European Union’s energy efficiency directive stipulations. What is the current state of Malta’s solar market?
As of 2017, renewable energy accounted for only 4.9 % of the Central Mediterranean state’s total installed capacity. This was one of the lowest renewable energy capacities in Europe. Fortunately, the Maltese Ministry of energy stepped up its renewable energy adoption efforts. At the end of 2019, Malta’s installed solar capacity stood at 154 Megawatts.
There are no recent statistics on the Maltese installed capacity. Still, the country’s rooftop PV sector is growing fast due to the government’s support. Essentially, this nascent solar market is most likely to continue growing and offer more lucrative opportunities for solar installers.
Solar equipment supply capacity in Malta
Malta has a small number of solar equipment suppliers that mainly deal with common equipment categories such as solar panels. This may limit your range of options in case you have a project lined up. Nevertheless, there is no need for concern because Solarfeeds has got you covered.
As a leading e-commerce marketplace for solar equipment, we host several leading equipment suppliers. If you don’t find the equipment needed locally, you can choose to import affordable and quality equipment from any of our partners. Just go to our inquiry page and request quotes.
Ports and logistics in Malta
Any solar installer or professional will agree that ports and quality services are essential amenities in any market. Well, most of Malta’s logistics service providers are highly experienced and dependable. You also have access to two major ports, namely;
- The Valletta Grand Harbor
- The Port of Marsaxlokk
What is an Electric Panel for Solar Plants?
Electrical panels consist of various connectors and switches that regulate the current flow from the solar power plant to the circuits. In simple terms, solar panels are interconnected to one point, after which the electrical panel and the circuit breaker act as a barrier. All the appliances and electrical equipment are present after this barrier.
How Does the Electric Panel work?
High voltage from the power line or the solar feed goes into the electric panel box and gets distributed to various parts of a house or office premises. Each distribution line gets connected to a Miniature Circuit Breaker. These circuit breakers trip by a short circuit to avert the danger of fire.
What Are Some applications of Electric Panels?
Electric power acts as an interface between the high voltage power line and household circuitry. Irrespective of the source, the electric panels are selected based on the power and current values. Here are some of the applications of Electric panel systems.
- Solar power: Electric Panels get connected to the power line coming from the solar energy system. The current gets distributed to various circuits inside the house.
- Conventional power line: Conventional power lines transmit power to the households. Here a main electrical panel box is installed along with the circuit breakers. This box contains the main switch which in case of emergencies can turn off the power of the entire house.
Types of Electric Panels for Solar Projects
Electric panel category based on the power capacity
- Main Panel: This is a high-capacity Electric panel box installed in any house.
- Sub Panel: These are small panels connected to the main Electric Panel. They are part of the circuit and are present in the various sections of large households.
- Lug Panel: Lug panel has no circuit breakers.
- Fuse Box: Comes with fuse connections that protect the circuits from high voltage surges.
Electric panel category based on the application
- 100 to 150 Amps: Old types of Electric panels not used anymore.
- 200 Amps: Electric panels with a capacity of 200 Amps are the most commonly used power panels.
- 400 Amps: Big houses with high power consumption and high power appliances use 400 Amps electric panels.
Some known brands of Electric Panel for Solar Plants
One of the most innovative companies making electric panels for solar plants is SPAN. Founded by a Tesla employee, SPAN makes Smart Electric power panels. They are used with Smart devices to control the power supply.
Some of the other manufacturers and suppliers are:
- Digital Analysis Corporation