Solar Market Outlook in Honduras
Honduras is emerging as the first major success story in Central America’s solar energy market. In fact, it earns the distinction as the first one in the region to attain 10% solar production in its energy industry.
In 2016, the state power energy company ENEE cited that 10.2% of the nation’s electrical system was generated from solar sources, specifically through PV power plants. This is a major breakthrough since Honduras becomes the first non-island nation to exceed the 10% mark in terms of solar energy production.
Honduras also leads other Central American nations in terms of the amount of installed PV capacity and is only second to Chile in all of Latin America. This energy revolution is spurring more development in Honduras and there are many investors hoping to take advantage of the photovoltaic boom in the country. With that said, the private sector has a lot to contribute to the growth of the solar energy market, especially after one plastic recycling company decided to install its solar panels to generate its own electricity.
The forecast is good for the country as solar energy experts believe that the current growth rate is only going to attract more solar investors and manufacturers to the country. Even though the private sector is getting a lot of recognition for this growth, these results are also part of the decades-long effort by the government to push the utilization of renewable energy sources.
Solar Energy Equipment Supply Capacity in Honduras
As one of the leaders in Central America’s drive to promote solar energy, there are a variety of options when it comes to solar energy equipment suppliers in Honduras.
Even then, there are plenty of options for those who wish to import solar energy equipment, components, and other parts for PV and other solar installations.
Top 6 Major Seaports & Logistics in Honduras
The logistics and goods handling capability of Honduras is quite impressive. It has plenty of domestic and international seaports that facilitate transport of essential goods and solar equipment for those who are interested.
These top seaports are as follows:
- Port of Puerto Cortes,
- Port of Tela,
- Port of Puerto Castilla,
- Port of La Ceiba,
- Port of San Lorenzo
- Port of Puerto Coxen Hole.
What is an Electric Panel for Solar Plants?
Electrical panels consist of various connectors and switches that regulate the current flow from the solar power plant to the circuits. In simple terms, solar panels are interconnected to one point, after which the electrical panel and the circuit breaker act as a barrier. All the appliances and electrical equipment are present after this barrier.
How Does the Electric Panel work?
High voltage from the power line or the solar feed goes into the electric panel box and gets distributed to various parts of a house or office premises. Each distribution line gets connected to a Miniature Circuit Breaker. These circuit breakers trip by a short circuit to avert the danger of fire.
What Are Some applications of Electric Panels?
Electric power acts as an interface between the high voltage power line and household circuitry. Irrespective of the source, the electric panels are selected based on the power and current values. Here are some of the applications of Electric panel systems.
- Solar power: Electric Panels get connected to the power line coming from the solar energy system. The current gets distributed to various circuits inside the house.
- Conventional power line: Conventional power lines transmit power to the households. Here a main electrical panel box is installed along with the circuit breakers. This box contains the main switch which in case of emergencies can turn off the power of the entire house.
Types of Electric Panels for Solar Projects
Electric panel category based on the power capacity
- Main Panel: This is a high-capacity Electric panel box installed in any house.
- Sub Panel: These are small panels connected to the main Electric Panel. They are part of the circuit and are present in the various sections of large households.
- Lug Panel: Lug panel has no circuit breakers.
- Fuse Box: Comes with fuse connections that protect the circuits from high voltage surges.
Electric panel category based on the application
- 100 to 150 Amps: Old types of Electric panels not used anymore.
- 200 Amps: Electric panels with a capacity of 200 Amps are the most commonly used power panels.
- 400 Amps: Big houses with high power consumption and high power appliances use 400 Amps electric panels.
Some known brands of Electric Panel for Solar Plants
One of the most innovative companies making electric panels for solar plants is SPAN. Founded by a Tesla employee, SPAN makes Smart Electric power panels. They are used with Smart devices to control the power supply.
Some of the other manufacturers and suppliers are:
- Digital Analysis Corporation