Yosemite Dedicates Largest Solar Energy Project of Its Kind
What better place to host the biggest solar energy installation at a U.S.national park than Yosemite? Tucked in a region that gets more annual sunshine than just about anywhere in the country, the California park boasts nearly perfect conditions for solar power.
Officials several days ago inaugurated the 672-kilowatt (kW) solararray, which comprises a 500-kW parking canopy for employees andvisitors; a 100-kW rooftop solar array atop a warehouse; and a 72-kWwall-mounted installation (pictured above).
As we reported over a year ago, it was originally speculated that the “solar panels are expected togenerate electricity at a levelized cost of about 13 cents per kilowatthour, reducing annual electricity costs by about $104,000.” According to The Business Journal, however, those annual energy costs savings are actually projected to be closer to $50,000 — equivalent to around 12 percent of the park’sannual electricity needs.
All 2,800 solar panels were supplied by SolarWorld, a manufacturer known for making high-quality, highly efficient monocrystalline solar panels.
“The combination of harnessing California’s abundantsunlight and technology and labor provided by U.S. workers ideally suits this energy advance for Yosemite National Park,” Superintendent DonNeubacher said. “Solar panels from SolarWorld, along with thecontributions of a number of other U.S.-based service firms andmanufacturing enterprises, will maximize the sustainable impact on thiseffort to not only take care of the park but stretch the planet’sresources.”
The $4.4 million solar project was made possible thanks to arenewable energy grant via the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
Photo courtesy of SolarWorld.
- PV @ $0.37 per watt in 2017?
- Fuel Cells in Outer Space!
- Electric Vehicle Wireless Charging is Here
- New York City Gets 25 Solar Streetchargers
- Will Electric Racers dominate at Pikes Peak?
- Improving Solar Cells with Quantum-Dot Microscopy
- Reduce Your Global Footprint and Energy Consumption
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!
- Florida Has Spoken: More Renewable Energy!