Walmart Installs 14K Solar Panels at AZ Distribution Facility
Companies like Google, Apple and Facebook often capture headlines with their clean energy initiatives, but over the last year, Walmart has become an installed solar capacity leader. The company completed its 100th solar installation in the U.S. with dozens more planned in the near future.
Now Walmart is taking it one step further at its Buckeye distribution center in Phoenix, Arizona. This project is now the company’s largest solar install to date: 14,000 solar panels will cover a million square feet of building and parking canopies.
The array will generate enough energy to power 30 percent of the facility’s needs. That’s 5.3 million KW hours of clean energy every year, enough to power 400 American households. In terms of saving CO2 emissions, the system is the equivalent of taking 600 cars off the road.
This is the second solar project Walmart has completed on an Arizona distribution center in a little more than a year. This 2MW+ project combined ground mounted and parking canopy structures at a location in Casa Grande, Arizona.
David Ozment, Senior Director of Walmart Energy, explained the company’s solar initiatives. ”Environmental sustainability is an essential ingredient to us for doing business responsibly and successfully. As the world’s largest retailer, our actions have the potential to save our customers money and help substantially reduce our carbon footprint for generations to come.”
The U.S. Solar Market Insight Report ranked Arizona third in solar installations in the United States behind California and New Jersey.
Hello- I’m Matt Bartlett, founder of AtisSun, Inc. and the creator of the Solar Insider News publication. In a world of skyrocketing energy prices, disappearing natural resources, and a highly unstable economy, the Solar Insider News publication promises to give you an advantage as you plan for your future during these uncertain times. We focus on Energy Independence, Financial Freedom and Sustainability topics. The mission of the Solar Insider News publication is to help arm you with the best information possible as a solar industry professional, consumer, or enthusiast.
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!
- Florida Has Spoken: More Renewable Energy!
- Bloomberg Announces Insane NYC Climate Plan
- SunRun Wants Utilities to Innovate Rooftop Solar
- UW Professor Designs Solar Cells that Store Energy
- Buffet Bets Against Nuclear
- Squirrels: Solar’s Biggest Threat?
- Facebook’s Hydroelectric Data Center Opens in Sweden
- Renewable Energy Funding in South Africa