The Vatican and Solar Power
Solar energy continues to make strides toward mainstream acceptance. In the beginning, though, there were some prominent early adaptors to the technology. In 2007, the Vatican announced plans to install a solar power system, and in 2008 work began on the rooftop of Nervi Hall.
Pope Benedict XVI has made a commitment to preserving the earth and is the first pontiff to embrace solar technology. The 2,400 photovoltaic panels are primarily used to heat and cool the hall, capable of holding up to 10,000 people. The panels, donated and estimated to be worth 1.5 million dollars, produce 300MWh of clean energy a year, cutting carbon dioxide emissions by about 225,000 kilograms annually.
The project is part of Pope Benedict XVI’s goal to have the Vatican produce 20% of its energy from alternative supplies by 2020. Currently, the city-state has the most solar installed per capita of any nation. Additionally, there have been talks to transform the popular “pope mobile” into a hybrid, however given emergency concerns with the Pope’s privacy, plans are still in development.
Solar Energy World, LLC, is one of the area’s leading providers andinstallers of solar electric systems and solar hot water systems. Weoffer homeowners and commercial property owners in Washington DC,Maryland and New Jersey a complete turnkey solution to solar power. Oursolar power installation teams have more than 74 years of combinedroofing and electrical experience.Articles l Homepage
- America’s Problem with Solar
- PV @ $0.37 per watt in 2017?
- Fuel Cells in Outer Space!
- Electric Vehicle Wireless Charging is Here
- New York City Gets 25 Solar Streetchargers
- Will Electric Racers dominate at Pikes Peak?
- Improving Solar Cells with Quantum-Dot Microscopy
- Reduce Your Global Footprint and Energy Consumption
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!