The Tiers of Solar Panel Efficiency
To simplify solar efficiency further, we have divided all modules into 5 tiers based on their efficiency compared to all other solar panels. Now installers and consumers can easily communicate about panel efficiency per area.
Are the solar panels in the most efficient tier (Tier 1) or do they have average efficiency (Tier 3)? If modules are in the least efficient tier (Tier 5), let’s hope they’re cheaper than the modules in the above-average tier (Tier 2).
You no longer have to worry about the 4-digit efficiency value and wonder what it means. Is 11.41 efficiency good, bad, or average? Now, you can simply consider the Tier ranking of the solar module. An 11.41 efficiency is Tier 3, so it’s average efficiency! That simply means it’s in the middle 20% of efficiency (40 -59%) compared to all eligible modules.
Tier 1 Efficiency modules are in the top 20% of efficiency of over 7,300 modules eligible for California solar incentives. They are more efficient than 80% of the other solar modules. They are basically the smart ones in the efficiency class.
Tier 2 modules are more efficient than 60% of all other modules, while Tier 3 have basically average efficiency. Tier 4 is below average and Tier 5 modules are in the bottom 20% in terms of efficiency per area.
How efficient are your solar panels?
“Below average, but I got a good deal on them.”
“The most efficient, because my roof space is limited.”
“My panels have average efficiency and my installer did a great job!”
- America’s Problem with Solar
- PV @ $0.37 per watt in 2017?
- Fuel Cells in Outer Space!
- Electric Vehicle Wireless Charging is Here
- New York City Gets 25 Solar Streetchargers
- Will Electric Racers dominate at Pikes Peak?
- Improving Solar Cells with Quantum-Dot Microscopy
- Reduce Your Global Footprint and Energy Consumption
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!