The Suzuki Foundation 30×30 Challenge
We’ve all said it—- whether it’s on the subject of hitting the gym, eating right, or finishing that creative project: “I just don’t have time!” And likewise, we’ve all had that one annoyingly optimistic person retort back to us that “you can always make time for what’s important!”
Spending regular time outdoors is important. Here’s why:
- promotes a healthy heart
- improves psychological health
- reduces stress
- boosts your immune system
- increases your energy level
- decreases risk of obesity
- influences life satisfaction
- strengthens social connection
- improved lung functioning
- gives you a Vitamin D fix!
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American College of Sports Medicine, and the Surgeon General’s Report on Physical Activity and Health all agree that we need at least 30 minutes of moderate to intense physical activity every day.
How to get out:
- Choose to bike or walk instead of driving on your daily commute
- Have a friend join you on a hike in one of your city’s forests or parks
- Bring a child to a park for some play
- Start a garden! (Greener Ideal has lots of tips on how)
- Visit a farmer’s market by bike
- Plan a picnic
- Join an outdoor sports team
- Go for a walk on your lunch break
- Read a book under a tree
- Do your yoga or meditation routine by flowing water for extra zen
- Discover your city—just walk!
“Why would you need bottled aromatherapy when you can go outside and smell nature? Outside exercise uses all your senses and connects your body and mind. As you become more physically fit, your mind also becomes more aware. You start to look at life differently. It can be a life-changing experience,”
says Tina Vindum, the author of Tina Vindum’s Outdoor Fitness: Step Out of the Gym into the Best Shape of Your Life and the first outdoor fitness instructor accredited by the American Council on Exercise, in this article on Everyday Health.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- Glass and Green Building
- How China Will Transform The Energy Industry
- New Project Will Forecast Solar Generation
- In Focus: The Potential of Los Angeles Solar
- Tesla Reports Profit, Stock SKYROCKETS
- SolarCity Raises $500M
- Graphene That Redefines Electric Current
- NextEra Gobbles Up Smart Energy Capital
- Oil Prices and Renewable Energy
- 5 Promising Eco Careers
- In Focus: People Power!
- The EV Cordless Power Vehicle Charging System