The Fate of Amorphous Silicon Solar
Greentech Media and GTM Research have led the packin questioning the viability of amorphous silicon in photovoltaicapplications — especially in chronicling the spectacular faceplant of Silicon Valley semiconductor giant, Applied Materials, their customers, and their a-Si photovoltaic efforts.
We’ve been less dismissive concerning Oerlikon’s efforts in a-Si because in our many conversations with Chris O’Brien, Oerlikon Solar’s head of market development inNorth America, he’s insisted that business is strong and that theiraggressive cost targets are in reach.
According to O’Brien, Oerlikon has some key first-mover advantages, such as possessing alonger legacy in micromorph (tandem junction) and starting off with anefficiency advantage that became much more important when crystallinesilicon (c-Si) joined First Solar as cost leaders. O’Brien also citedtheir zinc oxide transparent conductive oxide material as an efficiencybooster, as well as a new reflective coating from DuPont that allowsthinner silicon layer thickness and reduces efficiency degradation.
Greentech Media is an integrated online media company designed to deliver the highest-quality content in the industry, whether it is research, news or critical networking events. Greentech Media is headquartered in Cambridge, Mass., with operations in New York City, San Francisco and Munich.
- America’s Problem with Solar
- PV @ $0.37 per watt in 2017?
- Fuel Cells in Outer Space!
- Electric Vehicle Wireless Charging is Here
- New York City Gets 25 Solar Streetchargers
- Will Electric Racers dominate at Pikes Peak?
- Improving Solar Cells with Quantum-Dot Microscopy
- Reduce Your Global Footprint and Energy Consumption
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!