The British Columbia Hydrogen Highway
The Canadian province of British Columbia (BC) built a hydrogen highway system for the 2010 Olympics. The BC hydrogen highway runs between the cities of Vancouver and Whistler. It was designed to showcase zero-emissions hydrogen technology.
There are hydrogen refueling stations near Victoria and on the University of British Columbia campus in Vancouver. In Surrey, hydrogen refueling station was opened in March 2002. As of late 2006, hydrogen fueling stations were built in Victoria, Vancouver and Surrey.
The province of British Columbia and BC Transit have also built hydrogen powered buses which were used as transport along the hydrogen highway during the Olympics.
Companies like Ford test drove its Focus FCV cars along the hydrogen corridor gathering information about operating hydrogen cars in cold weather conditions.
In addition to the British Columbia Hydrogen Highway Initiative, Canada also has invested in three other hydrogen initiatives as well. The Vancouver Fuel Cell Vehicle Project, Hydrogen-Powered Delivery Van Project and the Hydrogen High-Pressure Valve Development Project.
Richard Matthews is a consultant, sustainable investor, writer and owner of The Green Market Oracle, a leading sustainable business blog that covers the convergence of sustainable capitalism and the global environment.The Green Market is one of the most comprehensive resources for information and tools on sustainability. Follow The Green Market's twitter feed and see the Facebook Fan Page. Richard is a contributor to more than 50 publications. Find him on Facebook and Linkedin.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- Securitization and Renewable Energy
- The All-Electric Fiat 500e
- The Energy Supercomputer
- A Breakthrough or Just Another PV Module?
- Bloom Energy Sees Revenue Drop in Q1
- Catching Photosynthesis in the Act
- Top 5 Ways The U.S Military is Utililizing Renewable Energy
- New Solar Technology to Increase Efficiency
- The Rise Of The Green Machines
- Solar Savings: Tax Credits and Solar
- Australian Scientists Printing Solar Cells Down Under
- Why are Auto Dealers Hating on Tesla?