Tag Archives: ucla
In the search for more efficient solar cells, UCLA researchers have developed a new transparent solar cell that points towards the age when windows could become small solar energyfarms without blocking the view. They have developed a new kind of polymer solar cell (PSC) that produces energy by absorbing mainly infrared light (not visible light), [...]
Breakthroughs in solar cell technology could very well revolutionize the way we apply solar energy. Researchers at the California NanoSystems Institute of UCLA have recently developed a near-transparent photovoltaic cell, which will allow windows and other glass substances to become solar energy surfaces without seriously impairing its function and visibility. The cell was made using [...]
Taking a page from multi-junction gallium arsenide (GaAs) photovoltaics, used in high-concentrating PV, engineers and researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles, have developed a multi-layered organic photovoltaic device that converts up to 10.6 percent of light into electricity as tested by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. While that’s a far cry from the [...]
Given how controversial smart meter rollouts have become of late, what are the optimum sites for smart grid initiatives? Ideally, you’d look for something that’s self-contained and with a population that’s localized and small enough to keep the costs of comprehensive updates relatively low. If that sounds like a university, you’re on the same page [...]
With well-known green neighbor San Diego to the south, Los Angeles might not be the first city that comes to mind when you think of the cleantech industry… But business and labor communities are teaming up to make the City of Angels the most productive place in the nation for cleantech. Home to the largest [...]
While the cost of solar energy is continually falling, it remainsrelatively expensive compared to conventional sources of electricity. At UCLA, Engineering Professor Yang Yang and his team of young scientistsat Yang Yang Lab hope tobring costs down further still by working on a low-cost solar technology solution. Yang Yang Lab is located inside one of the newest [...]
- America’s Problem with Solar
- PV @ $0.37 per watt in 2017?
- Fuel Cells in Outer Space!
- Electric Vehicle Wireless Charging is Here
- New York City Gets 25 Solar Streetchargers
- Will Electric Racers dominate at Pikes Peak?
- Improving Solar Cells with Quantum-Dot Microscopy
- Reduce Your Global Footprint and Energy Consumption
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!