Suntech Power to Set Up Phoenix-Based Solar Factory (STP)
The company hasn’t settled on the location for the factory yet. That should come "in coming weeks," the company said.
Thefactory would start with a capacity to produce 30 megawatts of solarpanel per year. Suntech executives have said previously that thecompany would ship solar cells from its China manufacturing complex tothe U.S. factory for panel assembly.
It was back in Maythis year when Suntech formally announced its plan to set up a factoryin the United States. In June, Suntech’s Roger Efird said the companywas planning a 100-megawatt factory that would start operating in the first quarter of 2010. The company had narrowed down the list of potential factory sites to Arizona and Texas before deciding on the former.
Thecompany said it’s looking for a factory space of 80,000 to 100,000square feet, which would enable Suntech to add production lines laterif demand from the U.S. market improves.
Despite legislationthat has created financial aid programs this year for manufacturingsolar energy equipment and installing them, the U.S. market hasn’texperienced a dramatic rise in demand. Many analysts and investors saythe full impact of these federal grants and tax incentives won’t likelybe felt until next year.
Greentech Media is an integrated online media company designed to deliver the highest-quality content in the industry, whether it is research, news or critical networking events. Greentech Media is headquartered in Cambridge, Mass., with operations in New York City, San Francisco and Munich.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- Securitization and Renewable Energy
- The All-Electric Fiat 500e
- The Energy Supercomputer
- A Breakthrough or Just Another PV Module?
- Bloom Energy Sees Revenue Drop in Q1
- Catching Photosynthesis in the Act
- Top 5 Ways The U.S Military is Utililizing Renewable Energy
- New Solar Technology to Increase Efficiency
- The Rise Of The Green Machines
- Solar Savings: Tax Credits and Solar
- Australian Scientists Printing Solar Cells Down Under
- Why are Auto Dealers Hating on Tesla?