SunPower Q1 2012 Earnings
The firm posted Q1 revenue of $494 million and gross margins of 12.7 percent. The firm, like every other solar module firm in Q1, lost money. In SunPower’s case, Q1 saw a loss of $74.5 million.
But SunPower’s fundamental strategy is not changing. It remains, as per its presentation:
- A differentiated go-to-market strategy depending on region
- Expanding its efficiency position in solar cells and systems
- Accelerating its cost-reduction roadmap
- “Prudently” managing its balance sheet and liquidity
SunPower maintains its global leadership in energy efficiency, is touting the potential of its C7 low-concentration tracker product, and still has the massive liquidity of Total behind it. The firm would not disclose its shipment record on the C7 tracker product (see video below).
As we reported last month, SunPower announced, as part of a cost reduction initiative, that it will “re-purpose” its Fab 1 operations in the Philippines and look for tenants for that site. Manufacturing will be consolidated in Fabs 2 and 3 with the intent of of incorporating a new process that reduces the number of manufacturing steps.
As we also reported, SunPower “expects to achieve its cost goal of approximately $0.86 per watt, on an efficiency-adjusted basis, exiting 2012.”
Greentech Media is an integrated online media company designed to deliver the highest-quality content in the industry, whether it is research, news or critical networking events. Greentech Media is headquartered in Cambridge, Mass., with operations in New York City, San Francisco and Munich.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- The Solar Vineyard House by Michael Jantzen
- Report: Solar PV Market to Recover by 2015
- Green Design Standards and the Construction Industry
- Converting Waste Heat Into Electricity Through Osmosis
- The Solar Canals of India
- In Focus: Sustainable Base
- New CPV Efficiency Record for Amonix
- Toyota Prius to be Replaced?
- Securitization and Renewable Energy
- The All-Electric Fiat 500e
- The Energy Supercomputer
- A Breakthrough or Just Another PV Module?