SolarU: Solar trickle chargers explained
Ever wonder what the purpose of a solar trickle chargeris..how are they different than traditional solar panels? A tricklecharger is typically a low wattage solar panel with a purpose ofkeeping a battery’s charge topped off. Typically if your not using abattery it will start to discharge and if it gets to a point in whichit gets too discharged your battery may lose the ability to hold charge.
Haveyou left your car sitting without using it for a couple weeks? Did itstart up? In some cases people can’t start their cars because thebattery in your car will discharge everyday its not used. This is wherea solar trickle charger comes in handy, since it can keep the batteryin your car charged up. A trickle charger can be helpful if you live ina cool climate since batteries lose their charge in cold weather.Keeping your battery charged up keeps it more reliable and extends thenumber of cycles you can get out of your battery.
Many people assume solar trickle chargers will not work well in cloudy weather although since the ICP Solar Trickle Charger is a thin film solar panel it actuallyperforms well in low indirect sun. Larger solar trickle chargers suchas the ICP sunsei SE-500 may need a charge controller to keep it fromovercharging your battery.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- Converting Waste Heat Into Electricity Through Osmosis
- The Solar Canals of India
- In Focus: Sustainable Base
- New CPV Efficiency Record for Amonix
- Toyota Prius to be Replaced?
- Securitization and Renewable Energy
- The All-Electric Fiat 500e
- The Energy Supercomputer
- A Breakthrough or Just Another PV Module?
- Bloom Energy Sees Revenue Drop in Q1
- Catching Photosynthesis in the Act
- Top 5 Ways The U.S Military is Utililizing Renewable Energy