Solar Skin by Studio Formwork
The architectural 3D modeling, rendering and design firm Studio Formwork, has designed a unique solar product concept. Solar Skin!
Imagine generating renewable energy from your home or officebuilding without the need of expensive renovations! Instead ofrenovating those old structures, why not wrap them up instead?
One thing is for certain – the design concept of the Solar Skin isdefinitely eye-catching. Touted as being “incredibly efficient, sexyand affordable,” each eye-shaped piece measures about 4 feet by 2.5feet. Constructed out of lightweight, inflatable polymer and foamtubing, the pieces are lined with thin film solar cells printed onMylar. Each configurable panel is lined with high-density foam,finished with a white resin. Steel cables are inside the tubing. Oncethe panels are zipped together, a waterproof seal is created. The skincould be placed on structures or even stand alone to create temporaryshelters.
Cheaper than traditional solar panels, the Solar Skin conceptgenerates solar energy and insulates buildings, skyscrapers andhomes,either permanently or temporarily. While the product could beused on new buildings, the Skin would be especially ideal for older,inefficient structures.
The concept of Solar Skin was developed for a competition for“solutions for providing relief from global warming temperatureincreases and impacts.” The design is also featured in the book Design Ecologies, published by Princeton Architectural Press.
Image courtesy of Studio Formwork
EnergyBoom is a global leader in news information about the renewable energy sector, offering expert analysis to keep you on the cutting edge of the renewable energy world. From public policy and financial analysis to company profiles to social commentary and the basics, EnergyBoom is your 360° view of the renewable energy world. Our contributors scour the globe daily for the latest news and information delivering insight and analysis, covering everything from new technologies to breaking news.
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!
- Florida Has Spoken: More Renewable Energy!
- Bloomberg Announces Insane NYC Climate Plan
- SunRun Wants Utilities to Innovate Rooftop Solar
- UW Professor Designs Solar Cells that Store Energy
- Buffet Bets Against Nuclear
- Squirrels: Solar’s Biggest Threat?
- Facebook’s Hydroelectric Data Center Opens in Sweden
- Renewable Energy Funding in South Africa