Shopping Malls Across America Go Solar
12 shopping malls in Arizona, California, New York and Connecticut are getting solar PV over the next year, as part of real estate owner Macerich’s corporate sustainability efforts.
Panasonic is developing the 12 megawatt solar project, which is financed and owned by Panasonic’s financial platform partner, Coronal Management.
This is the first phase of a national solar strategy for Macerich, which owns 62 regional shopping centers across the country. The company is also focused on energy and water efficiency, green building and renovation, and green operational practices and procurement for its malls.
“Our partnership with Panasonic allows us to deliver on our commitment to sustainability with a large-scale solar program that is environmentally responsible and delivers attractive financial returns: it’s just good business,” says Jeff Bedell, Vice President of Sustainability for Macerich.
Some of Macerich’s shopping centers are:
- Queens Center in New York City
- Tysons Corner Center in Northern Virginia just outside Washington, D.C.
- Scottsdale Fashion Square in Arizona
- Broadway Plaza in Walnut Creek, California
- Washington Square near Portland, Oregon
Its open-air shopping destination in Santa Monica, California, Santa Monica Place, is LEED-Gold certified. They recycled the existing structure into an indoor mall and outdoor center, which minimizes energy use through energy management and submetering. The mall has water-efficient landscaping, a green roof, among its green features.
Online since 1996, we provide global news and networking services to help green business grow. We cover all green business sectors including renewable energy, green building and green investing. Services include: Daily Green Business and Green Investor News; our leading green jobs service, Green Dream Jobs, a hands-on green investing newsletter, Progressive Investor; and networking services for green businesses that seek capital and partners.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- New CPV Efficiency Record for Amonix
- Toyota Prius to be Replaced?
- Securitization and Renewable Energy
- The All-Electric Fiat 500e
- The Energy Supercomputer
- A Breakthrough or Just Another PV Module?
- Bloom Energy Sees Revenue Drop in Q1
- Catching Photosynthesis in the Act
- Top 5 Ways The U.S Military is Utililizing Renewable Energy
- New Solar Technology to Increase Efficiency
- The Rise Of The Green Machines
- Solar Savings: Tax Credits and Solar