Shimizu Corporation: Let’s Use The Moon As A Solar Plant
We recently reported about Shimizu Corporation’s plan to create self-powered “botanical cities” and the construction firm has now come up with yet anotheringenious proposal to use the moon as a solar power plant for the earth.
The firm’s LunaRing proposal includes the installation of solar panels on a 6800mile belt around the moon’s equator, since the lunar equator isconstantly exposed to a steady amount of energy from the sun.
Sunlight will be converted into electricity by these solar panels,which will be transmitted via cables to facilities close the near sideof the moon where it will be converted into microwaves or laser power in order to be transmitted to the earth.
At ground energy conversion facilities will again convert the beamed energy into electricity that will be supplied to grids. The rawmaterials needed to construct the plant will be built by robots usingmoon rocks and dust. The team has also figured out a way to create water with lunar soil and hydrogen. Other machinery and equipment from earthwill be assembled in space and landed on to the lunar surface forinstallation.
'EcoFriend' is an environmental blog. The idea behind EcoFriend is simple: to inform and educate consumers who love to possess the latest gadgets and products available in the market and who are also concerned about the environment around them.
- America’s Problem with Solar
- PV @ $0.37 per watt in 2017?
- Fuel Cells in Outer Space!
- Electric Vehicle Wireless Charging is Here
- New York City Gets 25 Solar Streetchargers
- Will Electric Racers dominate at Pikes Peak?
- Improving Solar Cells with Quantum-Dot Microscopy
- Reduce Your Global Footprint and Energy Consumption
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!