SCU students ready their dream house for 2009 Solar Decathlon
The biannual Solar Decathloncompetition will be held this year in October. Universities from aroundthe globe are trying out their ecofriendly home designing skills hopingto win the competition. The latest news comes from the Santa Clara University and California College of Arts, with their Refract House.
The800-square-foot house will be opened to public on September 1, givingtours to show what the judges will be grading at the U.S. Department ofEnergy’s 2009 Solar Decathlon. The house features solar photovoltaicarray to generate solar electricity to power the house, radiant heatingand cooling, Krypton and Argon gas-filled, double-paned glass windowsand doors, Student-designed bamboo paneling and cabinetry.
Inaddition to these features the green home will also boast wood siding,floors and deck made from reclaimed wood and the use of top-of-the-lineenergy-efficient appliances, which also include the world’s lightest,thinnest and the most energy-efficient television.
Via: SCU [Press Release]
'EcoFriend' is an environmental blog. The idea behind EcoFriend is simple: to inform and educate consumers who love to possess the latest gadgets and products available in the market and who are also concerned about the environment around them.
- America’s Problem with Solar
- PV @ $0.37 per watt in 2017?
- Fuel Cells in Outer Space!
- Electric Vehicle Wireless Charging is Here
- New York City Gets 25 Solar Streetchargers
- Will Electric Racers dominate at Pikes Peak?
- Improving Solar Cells with Quantum-Dot Microscopy
- Reduce Your Global Footprint and Energy Consumption
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!