Prism Solar Looking for $150 Million For Factory Expansion
Prism Solar Technologiesplans to raise at least $150 million to set up a factory at a space itrecently bought in upstate New York, reported VentureWire.
The startup, founded in 2005, has developeda holographic film that can concentrate the sunlight onto silicon-basedsolar cells to improve power production. The holographicfilm, sandwiched between glass, can capture the desired portions of thelight spectrum to boost energy production (see company diagrams).The film then reflects the light in various directions, so the lightcan hit the front and back of the silicon-based solar cells to improveenergy output as well, the company said.
Based in Lake Katrine, N.Y., Prism Solar said last monthit had bought a former plasma display panel factory in Highland, N.Y.,from Panasonic and intended to convert it into a manufacturing centerfor making 60 megawatts of solar panels per year and a gigawatt of theholographic films, which would be sold to solar panel makers. The oldPanasonic factory already came with equipment and a set up that can bere-used for solar panel manufacturing, the company said.
Prism raised $8.5 million in 2007 andearlier this year won a $1 million grant from the U.S. Department ofEnergy to help it start commercial solar panel manufacturing. Prism hasa research and development center in Tucson, Ariz. It plans to startholographic film production at the Tucson facility first and assemblethose films into panels at the New York factory, the company told Greentech Media earlier this year.
Greentech Media is an integrated online media company designed to deliver the highest-quality content in the industry, whether it is research, news or critical networking events. Greentech Media is headquartered in Cambridge, Mass., with operations in New York City, San Francisco and Munich.
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!
- Florida Has Spoken: More Renewable Energy!
- Bloomberg Announces Insane NYC Climate Plan
- SunRun Wants Utilities to Innovate Rooftop Solar
- UW Professor Designs Solar Cells that Store Energy
- Buffet Bets Against Nuclear
- Squirrels: Solar’s Biggest Threat?
- Facebook’s Hydroelectric Data Center Opens in Sweden
- Renewable Energy Funding in South Africa