Natcore Teams with NREL on Black Silicon
Natcore, which recently moved into a lab at the Kodak facility in Rochester, N.Y., uses a patented liquid phase deposition to build solar cells and will combine that technology with NREL’s black silicon.
Black silicon works to achieve greater efficiency by etching pores into the cell, reducing its reflective surface and allowing the cell to absorb more of the sun’s energy. It increases energy production on cloudy days and in the lower lights of early morning and late afternoon.
Natcore aims to increase solar panel energy output from 3 to 10 percent over the course of a day without using tracking technology. The company, in its Collaborative Research and Development Agreement with NREL also states that it aims to reduce production costs by 2 to 3 percent.
NREL holds the world record for a cell made with black silicon at 18.6 percent, according to a release from Natcore. But the lab used cumbersome and expensive passivation technology that required thermal oxidation.
Natcore CEO Chuck Provini wrote in an email that he’s proud of the company’s partnership with NREL.
“I feel the importance of [this partnership] is not just the fact that the DOE will be contributing resources, but more importantly that Natcore will be entering into a collaboration with perhaps one of the most respected and knowledgeable photovoltaic facilities in the world,” Provini writes.
The company is sending three scientific teams to NREL in Golden, Colo., where they will be able to use NREL equipment to test materials and develop black silicon.
“NREL invented black silicon five years ago,” said Natcore senior vice president Tom Scarpa. “They knew it would be good. But they couldn’t get it to a point where they could commercialize it.”
This partnership presents tremendous opportunity for both parties, he said.
Cleanenergyauthority.com provides access to a nationwide network of local service providers for quotes on the installation of Solar (Photovoltaic) Panels, Solar Thermal for hot water and pool heating. Cleanenergyauthority.com was founded in 2008 to provide news and rebate and incentive as well as a convenient online comparison shopping resource for consumers seeking Clean Energy alternatives for their home or business. Articles l Homepage
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!
- Florida Has Spoken: More Renewable Energy!
- Bloomberg Announces Insane NYC Climate Plan
- SunRun Wants Utilities to Innovate Rooftop Solar
- UW Professor Designs Solar Cells that Store Energy
- Buffet Bets Against Nuclear
- Squirrels: Solar’s Biggest Threat?
- Facebook’s Hydroelectric Data Center Opens in Sweden
- Renewable Energy Funding in South Africa