NASA Calculates California’s Carbon Budget
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has recently explored new methods for managing carbon emissions inventories. Using NASA’s , the agency surveyed the “greenness”of California’s vegetation and then plugged the results into anecosystem simulation model to estimate monthly variations in theaccumulated biomass of wood and other plant materials. One keylimitation for the method: it relied on inventory data from theCalifornia Energy Commission to model the greenhouse gas emissions fromfossil fuel combustion and from agricultural lands throughout the state.
The study found that in 2004, the state’s natural ecosystemsabsorbed as much carbon dioxide from the atmosphere as was emitted byburning fossil fuels, with significant amounts of carbon dioxide beingtrapped in forests and soils during periods of above-normal rainfall.The bad news for California is that such periods of above-normalrainfall have become rare, as the state has been suffering underdrought conditions since the fall of 2006.
The Search for Environmentally-Sustainable Solutions & CleanTechnologies, Cleabeta is the blog of Clean Tech Law & Business.Clean Tech Law & Business is the firstpeer-reviewed journal devoted exclusively to legal and financialaspects of clean tech. Readers will receive academic-grade research andanalysis of the issues complicating the commercialization of criticaltechnologies from leading clean-tech authorities in law, finance,technology, government, non-profits and academia. CleanBeta is written byWilliam Pentland.¹ If you have any comments, questions or concernsabout content that appears on CleanBeta, please feel free to send themby email to email@example.comArticles l Homepage
- America’s Problem with Solar
- PV @ $0.37 per watt in 2017?
- Fuel Cells in Outer Space!
- Electric Vehicle Wireless Charging is Here
- New York City Gets 25 Solar Streetchargers
- Will Electric Racers dominate at Pikes Peak?
- Improving Solar Cells with Quantum-Dot Microscopy
- Reduce Your Global Footprint and Energy Consumption
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!