Motorola Solutions is a multinational telecommunications companybased out of Schaumburg, Illinois. In January of 2011, Motorola, Inc.was split into two companies: Motorola Mobility and Motorola Solutions. Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-criticalcommunication products and services for enterprise and governmentcustomers. Like many other companies in this industry, Motorola hasrealized the chance to increase sustainability around the world through the creation and establishment of sustainability practices andtechnologies that will reduce carbon footprint and make businesses, homes, and people more energy efficient.
1) Safe Subways Using Less Energy. The Madrid Metro system has 293 stations and more than 2.5 million men and women use it on a daily basis. This is why the operators use the Motorola Solutions TETRA radio network to keep passengers safe and keep the metro system running effectively. This generation technology offers amazing benefits and is more energyefficient. For example, just about twice the number of voice calls iscarried than what the metro communications system was carryingpreviously but the new system requires up to 50 percent less energy. And because only one server cabinet is required and not six, cooling needs and space is reduced.
2) New RFID Technologies Offer More Efficient Operations. Radio frequency identification (RFID) technology created by MotorolaSolutions assists customers in saving money and decreasing theirenvironmental footprints through making operations and distribution more efficient. This reduces overall energy consumption and. RFID technology when utilized in supermarkets, for example, prevents waste by offering supermarket managers information such as sell-by dates of allperishable goods, preventing unnecessary re-ordering. Many logisticscompanies utilize RFID to coordinate their delivery and pick-upschedules, resulting in fuel saving and carbon dioxideemissions-reducing capabilities.
3) Coordination with Workers in the Field. Numerous businesses have employees who work in the field, either deliveringgoods, making sales, or responding to a variety of service calls.Motorola Solutions offers mobile computers with top grade GPS technology that enables dispatch to accurately route and schedule different field workers. Aside from improving overall efficiency and increasingpositive customer service, this solution helps extend the life of allcompany vehicles through reducing wear and tear associated with beingon the road. The technology allows drivers to navigate the quickestroute to the destination, avoiding wrong turns and traffic, therebyreducing fuel cost and carbon dioxide emissions. The mobile computersalso transmit information electronically, reducing the need for paper.
4) Using Smart Energy Grids. Motorola Solutions isinvolved in pilot projects with utility companies in the United Statesthat are looking to operate in a more energy efficient manner anddistribution systems. The wireless broadband technology created byMotorola Solutions assists in managing smart grids to make the energysystem more efficient and much more secure. The smart grids use broadband communications to offer continual flows of data forutility companies to monitor the production, distribution andconsumption of energy. They can also help consumers monitor energyconsumption through the use of smart meters which allow them to utilize energy when energy rates are lower, and use programs that control HVAC systems and other devices that consume energy, such as water heatersand pool pumps.
5) Employee Awareness. With Motorola Solutions, it is not just about making the customers aware of environmental actions, but raising employee awareness is also important. For example, on Earth Day 2010, Motorola Solutionslaunched their global initiative to reduce the amount of paper used. At Motorola Solutions offices all around the globe, awareness was raisedabout the overall environmental impact of paper production and employees were encouraged to recycle more and use less paper. For example, theBangkok, Thailand office collects one-sided printed out pages in aspecial box and after checking the pages over for confidentialinformation, the pages are bound into notebooks and donated to schoolsin the area. This has allowed the office to reuse over 99 percent of all printed paper.
6) Solar and Wind Energy. In 2007, MotorolaSolutions was granted a contract with the U.S. Army to build new secure wide area, digital narrowband, trunked land mobile radio system tocover Fort Bliss, White Sands Missile Range and its NASA constructionand testing facility, and Holloman Air Force Base. The project required using alternative energy to power the system due to the wide distances between the facilities. Motorola Solutions partnered with a number of organizations to successfully use solar and wind power to complete the project. The success has cause the U.S. Army to consider using solarand wind power at other sites as well.
7) Motorola Received 2010 Environmental Protection Agency Green Power Leadership Award. In 2010 Motorola was the recipient of the 2010 Green Power Leadership Award from the Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA. The award recognizes leading green power purchasers for their contribution and commitment to assisting in the advancement of the development of the green powermarket. At the time of the award, Motorola was purchasing approximately 119 million kilowatt hours of renewable energy per year, which isequivalent to, according to the EPA, the reduction of carbon dioxideemissions stemming from over 16,000 passenger cars per year, or thetotal quantity of electricity required to power over 10,000 averagehomes in the United States per year.
8 ) Recycling Initiatives. Motorola operates a “take back” programs on its own as well as in partnership with a number ofdifferent carriers, retailers, and recycling programs. In the UnitedStates and Canada, for example, Motorola Solutions operates a take-back initiative for government and public safety related products andequipment, such as radios, and enterprise equipment, such as bar codescanners and mobile computers. Customers use the online booking systemin order to request the collection of the equipment. In the UnitedStates, customers are also encourages to hand in their used devices when getting upgrades by offering credit towards the newer purchase.
9) Packaging Initiatives. Motorola Solutions is always looking for ways to reduce the volume and weight of their product packaging through a number of packaging initiatives. This includes providing bulk solutions in an effort to decreaseshipping cost and value and expanding the overall utilization ofrecycled materials. To improve product packaging, a number of steps have been taken, including providing alternative bulk packaging, reducingproduct packaging, and guaranteeing that all packaging materials are to be identified with the internationally recognized recycling symbols.
10) Product Initiatives. Motorola Solutions islooking to decrease the environmental footprint of all products bylocating alternative options that reduce the impact of all lifecyclestages, including the design, manufacturing, distribution, use, and the end of life cycle of all products. There are a number of design principles Motorola Solutions uses when it comes to the products, including reduce packaging, improve energy efficiency, use materials that are better for the environment, increase theoverall recyclability of products, and go beyond required compliance to reduce carbon footprints.
Article by Shawn Lesser, Co-founder & Managing Partner of Atlanta-based Watershed Capital Group – an investment bank assisting sustainable fund and companies raisecapital, perform acquisitions, and in other strategic financialdecisions. He is also a Co-founder of the GCCA Global Cleantech Cluster Association ”The Global Voice of Cleantech”. He writes for various cleantechpublications and is known as the David Letterman of Cleantech for his“Top 10? series. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Top Ten Cleantech Initiatives of Motorola (NYSE:MSI) originally appeared in Green Chip Stocks. Green Chip Review is a free 2x-per-week newsletter, is the firstadvisory to focus exclusively on investments in alternative andrenewable energies.