LAVA Studio to design the city center of Masdar City
Eco Factor: Sustainable city center for a totally sustainable eco-city in the desert.
Australian studio LAVA has won an international competition to design the center of Masdar,a completely sustainable city in the desert. The design will include acentral plaza, five-star hotel, long stay hotel, convention center,entertainment complex and retail facilities.
Thewinning design from the company includes a public plaza, which isinspired by traditional European cities and can withstand the climateof the Middle East. The design house wanted to create an open plaza,where you could breathe fresh air and see the sky, in an effort topropos real human interaction.
Therequirements tempted the design house to have the plaza with “solarumbrellas”, which could capture solar energy during the day whileproviding shade and can be closed at night releasing the heat up intothe sky and cool the plaza naturally.
Theplan also includes the construction of adaptive building facades, whichcan be altered in angle to offset or maximize solar gain. The plan willalso include roof gardens for on-site food production, energygeneration, water efficiency and reuse of organic food waste.
'EcoFriend' is an environmental blog. The idea behind EcoFriend is simple: to inform and educate consumers who love to possess the latest gadgets and products available in the market and who are also concerned about the environment around them.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- Converting Waste Heat Into Electricity Through Osmosis
- The Solar Canals of India
- In Focus: Sustainable Base
- New CPV Efficiency Record for Amonix
- Toyota Prius to be Replaced?
- Securitization and Renewable Energy
- The All-Electric Fiat 500e
- The Energy Supercomputer
- A Breakthrough or Just Another PV Module?
- Bloom Energy Sees Revenue Drop in Q1
- Catching Photosynthesis in the Act
- Top 5 Ways The U.S Military is Utililizing Renewable Energy