Khosla’s PV/Hot Water Startup Cogenra Unstealths
Cogenra (formerly known as Skywatch Energy), a Khosla Ventures-funded solarstartup is slowly coming out of stealth — urged on by their recent winof a $1.5 million California Solar Initiative (CSI) RD&D grant. RD&D, oddly, stands for Research, Development, Deployment and Demonstration.
Here is some of the text of the Cogenra grant:
Cogenra Solar has developed, prototyped and validated the technical performance of an innovative concentrating photovoltaic/thermal co-generationtechnology and will conduct an 80-kW demonstration at the Sonoma Wine Company. For this project, the field performance of the system will be measuredand used to refine economic and financing models and optimization overmultiple tariff structures. This project will also look at modifying the co-generation system so that it can support tri-generation ofelectricity, heating and cooling, expanding the market to includecommercial sites that require cooling and lower amounts of hot water.Additionally, Cogenra Solar will modify the system to provide energystorage for use during peak demand and coordination with Pacific Gas and Electric on grid integration.
The startup has received $10.5 million from Khosla Ventures.
Greentech Media is an integrated online media company designed to deliver the highest-quality content in the industry, whether it is research, news or critical networking events. Greentech Media is headquartered in Cambridge, Mass., with operations in New York City, San Francisco and Munich.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- The Solar Vineyard House by Michael Jantzen
- Report: Solar PV Market to Recover by 2015
- Green Design Standards and the Construction Industry
- Converting Waste Heat Into Electricity Through Osmosis
- The Solar Canals of India
- In Focus: Sustainable Base
- New CPV Efficiency Record for Amonix
- Toyota Prius to be Replaced?
- Securitization and Renewable Energy
- The All-Electric Fiat 500e
- The Energy Supercomputer
- A Breakthrough or Just Another PV Module?