JDSU Enters The CPV Market
Kleiner Perkins saw fit to invest $130 million into CPV systems vendor Amonix. And shortly after that fund raise, Cogentrix announced a 30 megawatt project with Amonix. That’s easily the largest CPV project in the history of CPV.
SolFocus recently said that it would have 10 megawatts in the ground by the end of the year.
Concentrix Solar, German-based CPV vendor, funded by Good Energies and recently purchased by Soitec, just announced the opening of a U.S. office and a CEClisting.
And today we saw JDSU, the optical networking, laser and coatings expert, announce that theywere entering the CPV market as a chip supplier. The firm has a marketcapitalization of $2.1 billion.
One of the chicken-and-eggproblems that has plagued CPV is the cost and supply of thetriple-junction compound semiconductor solar cell that performs theactual photovoltaic conversion. The low-volume supply chain for thesechips has depended on somewhat dysfunctional suppliers Emcore and Spectrolab. Emcore has a history of losing money, questionable management and flirting with entering the CPV system business. Spectrolab makes a quality product but both of these firms, with a culture of supplyingthe space and satellite market, have found the transition to commercialmanufacturing a bit of a cultural stretch.
Greentech Media is an integrated online media company designed to deliver the highest-quality content in the industry, whether it is research, news or critical networking events. Greentech Media is headquartered in Cambridge, Mass., with operations in New York City, San Francisco and Munich.
- America’s Problem with Solar
- PV @ $0.37 per watt in 2017?
- Fuel Cells in Outer Space!
- Electric Vehicle Wireless Charging is Here
- New York City Gets 25 Solar Streetchargers
- Will Electric Racers dominate at Pikes Peak?
- Improving Solar Cells with Quantum-Dot Microscopy
- Reduce Your Global Footprint and Energy Consumption
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!