Is Solaren’s Spaced-Based Solar Plan Losing Steam?
The information about the investors is not yet available. However,this is a small step forward for the start-up company which haspreviously raised $1.3 million. Nevertheless, investment in Solaren iswell below the "billions" CEO Gary Spirnak wants to raise for hiscompany.
Financing for Solaren will need to pick up steam in a hurry–thecompany has said it will be able to deliver 200 megawatts of solarpower from space to the Pacific Gas & Electric Company by 2016.
The large sums of money Solaren needs may be hard to find. Venturecapital investment in the start-up solar companies has dwindled thisyear. Furthermore, many are skeptical of Solaren’s plans. As BurtonLee, co-founder of the Space Angels Network highlights, "as of now,there remain major unsolved technical issues with this type of project."
Japan’s space agency (JAXA) is also seeking to set up an space-basedsolar power plant. However, JAXA says it will have nothing availableuntil at least 2030.
Read the full story at Reuters: Space Panel Maker is Out of this World
EnergyBoom is a global leader in news information about the renewable energy sector, offering expert analysis to keep you on the cutting edge of the renewable energy world. From public policy and financial analysis to company profiles to social commentary and the basics, EnergyBoom is your 360° view of the renewable energy world. Our contributors scour the globe daily for the latest news and information delivering insight and analysis, covering everything from new technologies to breaking news.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- Securitization and Renewable Energy
- The All-Electric Fiat 500e
- The Energy Supercomputer
- A Breakthrough or Just Another PV Module?
- Bloom Energy Sees Revenue Drop in Q1
- Catching Photosynthesis in the Act
- Top 5 Ways The U.S Military is Utililizing Renewable Energy
- New Solar Technology to Increase Efficiency
- The Rise Of The Green Machines
- Solar Savings: Tax Credits and Solar
- Australian Scientists Printing Solar Cells Down Under
- Why are Auto Dealers Hating on Tesla?