Intel Demos A Solar Processor $INTC
Shares of computer technology developer Intel Corporation (Nasdaq: INTC) rose 2% Thursday after chief technology officer Justin Rattner unveiled the company’s latest technologies at the Intel Developer Forum.
Included in the company’s list of new developments were the Near-Threshold Voltage Processor and the Hybrid Memory Cube. Intel claims that both technologies will consume significantly less energy compared to similar devices currently deployed.
Although it is still being developed as a concept CPU, the Near-Threshold Voltage Processor will drop its power consumption to 10 milliwatts which would allow the processor to continue to run powered by “a solar cell the size of a postage stamp.”
The Hybrid Memory Cube, a concept DRAM, operates seven times more efficient when compared to current DDR3. Despite the fact both of these models may not become products themselves, Intel says the research could open doors for a vast array of products that are much more energy efficient.
Research and development of the Near-Threshold Voltage Processor is part of Intel’s target “to reduce energy consumption per computation by 100- to 1000-fold for applications ranging from massive data processing at one end of the spectrum to terascale-in-a-pocket at the other.” For Intel, investment in energy efficiency is not held to the products it develops.
In February, the company said it’s renewable energy credit purchase will exceed 85 percent of its estimated U.S. electricity use and to date its global investment arm has invested $150 million in clean technology business.
The 2011 Corporate Renewable Energy Index, or CREX 2011, developed jointly by Bloomberg New Energy Finance and Vestas Wind Systems (VWDRY.PK) revealed Intel as one of the top purchasers of renewable electricity.
Image Credit: Wimox via Flickr
EnergyBoom is a global leader in news information about the renewable energy sector, offering expert analysis to keep you on the cutting edge of the renewable energy world. From public policy and financial analysis to company profiles to social commentary and the basics, EnergyBoom is your 360° view of the renewable energy world. Our contributors scour the globe daily for the latest news and information delivering insight and analysis, covering everything from new technologies to breaking news.
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!
- Florida Has Spoken: More Renewable Energy!
- Bloomberg Announces Insane NYC Climate Plan
- SunRun Wants Utilities to Innovate Rooftop Solar
- UW Professor Designs Solar Cells that Store Energy
- Buffet Bets Against Nuclear
- Squirrels: Solar’s Biggest Threat?
- Facebook’s Hydroelectric Data Center Opens in Sweden
- Renewable Energy Funding in South Africa