In Focus: Building Energy Sensor Networks
There’s a key barrier between the technology that runs modern HVAC, lighting and other energy-intensive building systems today, and the quest to make it run more efficiently: a lack of energy data. Beyond the meters that record the entire building energy use, and perhaps some sub-metering for individual offices or building systems, there just isn’t that much real-time, granular energy measuring going on.
Panoramic Power wants to change that, one self-powered, circuit power sensor at a time. The Israel-based startup says its patent-pending technology allows each sensor to harvest enough energy from the circuit it measures to connect it and its fellow devices in a wireless mesh network, sending energy data every 10 seconds or so.
Those sensors create a wireless mesh network that connects to Panoramic’s P3E cloud-based analytics platform, which aligns the incoming flood of energy readings with the building systems using the energy, Safi Oranski, vice president of business development, said in an interview last week.
That’s useful to detect and alert existing building management systems (BMS) to anomalies in the way the system is working, to combat the common “drift” in well-tuned buildings back to inefficient status over time, he said. Or, in some cases, it can take the place of a BMS entirely, at a cost that’s five to ten times cheaper, he added.
Greentech Media is an integrated online media company designed to deliver the highest-quality content in the industry, whether it is research, news or critical networking events. Greentech Media is headquartered in Cambridge, Mass., with operations in New York City, San Francisco and Munich.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- Securitization and Renewable Energy
- The All-Electric Fiat 500e
- The Energy Supercomputer
- A Breakthrough or Just Another PV Module?
- Bloom Energy Sees Revenue Drop in Q1
- Catching Photosynthesis in the Act
- Top 5 Ways The U.S Military is Utililizing Renewable Energy
- New Solar Technology to Increase Efficiency
- The Rise Of The Green Machines
- Solar Savings: Tax Credits and Solar
- Australian Scientists Printing Solar Cells Down Under
- Why are Auto Dealers Hating on Tesla?