Hybrid Solar Thermal Power Plants
A number of Solar Thermal Companies closed down in 2011, and many of the CSP Power Plants have now been converted into PV panel projects. This is because the costs of building a solar panel power plant is less than half that of a solar thermal plant. You can read the advantages and disadvantages of solar thermal here.
However Solar Thermal Technology is finding a niche in Hybrid Fossil Fuel Power Plants. Here’s why. . .
- They can use the existing electricity and transmission Iifrastructure of new or existing fossil fuel power plants.
- Solar thermal technology in most cases generates steam which can be used by the turbines in a fossil fuel plants, thereby saving additional operational costs.
- They help utilties meet RPS standards or generate Green Certificates which can generate additional revenue.
- Provides “green” credibility for power plant operators.
- Hybrid plants don’t have to face the problems of intermittency, but can still provide cheaper power production during peak demand.
Solar Thermal Power Plants Go Hybrid originally appeared in Green Chip Stocks. Green Chip Review is a free 2x-per-week newsletter, is the first advisory to focus exclusively on investments in alternative and renewable energies.
Green Chip Stocks Editors & Contributors Jeff Siegel Jeff Siegel is the managing editor of Green Chip Stocks, an independent investment research service that focuses exclusively on renewable energy and organic and natural food markets. Nick Hodge One of the bright young minds in today's cleantech industry, Nick is putting his knowledge of nascent green markets to use in several ways... Nick is the co-author of a best-selling book and has interviewed dozens of times for TV and Web; his keen insight, uncanny foresight, and global contacts have led to double- and triple-digit wins for his readers, time after time.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- The Solar Vineyard House by Michael Jantzen
- Report: Solar PV Market to Recover by 2015
- Green Design Standards and the Construction Industry
- Converting Waste Heat Into Electricity Through Osmosis
- The Solar Canals of India
- In Focus: Sustainable Base
- New CPV Efficiency Record for Amonix
- Toyota Prius to be Replaced?
- Securitization and Renewable Energy
- The All-Electric Fiat 500e
- The Energy Supercomputer
- A Breakthrough or Just Another PV Module?