How Solar is Good for your Health
You heard about solar power being the right thing to do environmentally and financially, but could it be good for your health? According to a number ofscientists, the answer to that question is yes. Renewable technologies, like wind and solar power, replace our need for dirty fossil fuels, and therefore make our world a little healthier.
When we burn fossil fuels, they give off harmful by-products like carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide,and greenhouse gases that are said to be major contributors to climatechange. The EPA says that current carbon dioxide and nitrous oxidelevels are respectively 35 and 18 percent higher than they were inpre-industrial era. The other byproducts created by fossil fuels, suchas sulfur oxide, nitrogen oxide and hydrocarbons, are attributed to smog and acid rain.
But I digress; let’s talk about why fossil fuels are unhealthy. We all know clean air is essential to leading a healthy life. Fossil fuels contribute to air pollution through the by-products and particulates that are released into the air. This type of airpollution carries the following risks:
- Carbon Monoxide - Exposure can cause headaches and place stress on cardiac systems with existing heart conditions
- Nitrogen Oxide – Major irritant to lungs, sometimes causing bronchitis and pneumonia as well as weakening the respiratory system
- Smog caused by Chemical Reaction of Nitrogen Oxide and Sulfur Oxide – Causes shortness of breath (asthma) and damage to the lungs over the long-term
- Particulates – Particles from soot and dust contribute to respiratory and cardiac ailments which include arrhythmias and heart attacks.
Did you know that 85% percent of all the power produced in thiscountry comes from burning fossil fuels? You don’t need to be smoking a cigarette to be doing damage to your heart and lungs. You could bedoing harm right now by just breathing. Pretty scary, right? The morewe replace our energy requirement with sustainable choices like solar power, the better off we will be. You can do your part by getting a complimentary evaluation to see if a solar installation is right for your home in Massachusetts or Connecticut.
Brightstar Solar is a New England-based company that markets, designs, and installs phtotovoltaic systems which provide measurable and meaningful benefits to our customers, our country, and our environment. We enable our residential, commercial, and non-profit customers to create their own clean electricity safely, dependably, and with an attractive return on investment. Our blog covers the latest topics in the solar electric (PV) industry - technology, legislation, incentives, etc. Bloggers include husband and wife team and co-founders of Brightstar Solar, Jon Reese and Mona Reese.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- Glass and Green Building
- How China Will Transform The Energy Industry
- New Project Will Forecast Solar Generation
- In Focus: The Potential of Los Angeles Solar
- Tesla Reports Profit, Stock SKYROCKETS
- SolarCity Raises $500M
- Graphene That Redefines Electric Current
- NextEra Gobbles Up Smart Energy Capital
- Oil Prices and Renewable Energy
- 5 Promising Eco Careers
- In Focus: People Power!
- The EV Cordless Power Vehicle Charging System