How are Solar Manufacturers Surviving in Today’s Market?
Plunging panel prices, economic havoc and new technologies have solar manufacturing in turmoil. A panel of experts offered insiders’ insights at the GTM Phoenix solar summit last week on the state of play and when and how it will change.
Moderator Shyam Mehta, the GTM Research Senior Solar Analyst, opened by asking how long the current downturn will last and what will catalyze a reversal.
“The oversupply conditions are likely to last for quite a while, and a number of players will disappear from the market before there is more demand,” REC Solar U.S. Managing Director Jan Jacob Boom-Wichers replied. “What could change is that the cost of energy could go up,” he said, “making PV solar a better value proposition.”
“Capacity,” said JA Solar Americas President Jonathan Pickering, “is almost twice the actual demand,” adding that it is a “Darwinian world” where “big companies will tend to get stronger.” The current “flight to quality” will accelerate over the next six to twelve months, he predicted. “Strong players will rapidly get stronger. That will accelerate the demise of the weaker companies, which will lead to consolidation.” Recent improving utilization rates, he added, could be a sign of recovery.
Greentech Media is an integrated online media company designed to deliver the highest-quality content in the industry, whether it is research, news or critical networking events. Greentech Media is headquartered in Cambridge, Mass., with operations in New York City, San Francisco and Munich.
- PV @ $0.37 per watt in 2017?
- Fuel Cells in Outer Space!
- Electric Vehicle Wireless Charging is Here
- New York City Gets 25 Solar Streetchargers
- Will Electric Racers dominate at Pikes Peak?
- Improving Solar Cells with Quantum-Dot Microscopy
- Reduce Your Global Footprint and Energy Consumption
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!
- Florida Has Spoken: More Renewable Energy!