Google Announces $5M Germany Solar Project $GOOG
The recently completed facility is located on 47 hectares (116 acres) in Brandenburg an der Havel, near Berlin. The power planthas a peak capacity of 18.65MWp, which puts it among the largest inGermany.
Google is always looking for new ways to encourage development anddeployment of renewable energy across the world. This facility willprovide clean energy to more than 5,000 households in the areasurrounding Brandenburg. Until the early 90’s, the site was used as atraining ground by the Russian military. We’re glad it has found a newuse!
We agreed to jointly invest in this project with the German privateequity company Capital Stage, which brings strong experience in theGerman photovoltaic and renewable energy market. Germany has a strongframework for renewable energy and is home to many leading-edgetechnology companies in the sector. More than 70% of the solar modulesinstalled in Brandenburg are provided by German manufacturers.
Google has been making headlines for its clean energy-relatedactivities in the U.S., as well. The company is backing a plan to buildan undersea transmission line that, if completed, would facilitate thetransfer of offshore wind power to densely populated Atlantic seaboardmarkets.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- The Solar Vineyard House by Michael Jantzen
- Report: Solar PV Market to Recover by 2015
- Green Design Standards and the Construction Industry
- Converting Waste Heat Into Electricity Through Osmosis
- The Solar Canals of India
- In Focus: Sustainable Base
- New CPV Efficiency Record for Amonix
- Toyota Prius to be Replaced?
- Securitization and Renewable Energy
- The All-Electric Fiat 500e
- The Energy Supercomputer
- A Breakthrough or Just Another PV Module?