Ford Working with Dow Chemical on Carbon Fiber Technology for Cars
Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F) recently announced its partnership with Dow Automotive Systems to develop advanced carbon fiber composites that could be used in high-volume vehicles.
The two companies joint development agreement brings researchers from both sides together to collaborate on a number of different aspects of carbon fiber composites with each company bringing something unique to the table.
Ford brings its experience in design and engineering while Dow Automotive’s wheelhouse is materials science and high-volume polymer processing. The development teams will focus directly on establishing a cost-effective source of the automotive-grade carbon fiber in addition to developing component manufacturing methods for high-volume automotive applications.
This is part of Ford’s effort to investigate new materials and new manufacturing techniques that would cut weight while still adhering to safety and quality standards. The goal is to be able to cut 750 pounds by the end of the decade, which would boost fuel efficiency substantially.
Should Ford and Dow’s carbon fiber composite research prove fruitful, these carbon fiber components could start appearing on Ford automobiles within the next few years.
Ford and Dow Cut Vehicle Weight with Carbon Fiber Technology originally appeared in Green Chip Stocks. Green Chip Review is a free 2x-per-week newsletter, is the first advisory to focus exclusively on investments in alternative and renewable energies.
Green Chip Stocks Editors & Contributors Jeff Siegel Jeff Siegel is the managing editor of Green Chip Stocks, an independent investment research service that focuses exclusively on renewable energy and organic and natural food markets. Nick Hodge One of the bright young minds in today's cleantech industry, Nick is putting his knowledge of nascent green markets to use in several ways... Nick is the co-author of a best-selling book and has interviewed dozens of times for TV and Web; his keen insight, uncanny foresight, and global contacts have led to double- and triple-digit wins for his readers, time after time.
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!
- Florida Has Spoken: More Renewable Energy!
- Bloomberg Announces Insane NYC Climate Plan
- SunRun Wants Utilities to Innovate Rooftop Solar
- UW Professor Designs Solar Cells that Store Energy
- Buffet Bets Against Nuclear
- Squirrels: Solar’s Biggest Threat?
- Facebook’s Hydroelectric Data Center Opens in Sweden
- Renewable Energy Funding in South Africa