First Solar and SunPower: Stocks Headed South? $FSLR, $SPWRA
It only took a day or two for First Solar (FSLR) and SunPower Corporation (SPWR) to confirm the bearish pattern I pointed out after the recent post-earnings celebration for SPWR. The charts below show rapid follow-through from the big fades that followed huge up days in each stock.
First Solar breaks down again
“Anyone who has traded solar stocks for a while knows this post-earnings fade as the signature reversal so common with solar stocks. It is solar’s typical warning sign of declines to come.”
That warning followed another cautionary note I sent out following the bankruptcy announcement from Energy Conversion Devices (ENER) where I declared the “solar fun is over for now.” We should duly note that the sudden weakness in many solar stocks is coming as the major indices are either at or challenging multi-year highs. Once the stock market corrects from this rally, we should expect solar stocks to suffer further and larger losses (relative to whatever portion of the solar rally remains intact at that time). Yingli Energy Holdings (YGE) has already given back all of its gains for 2012. FSLR, Trina Solar (TSL), and MEMC Electronic Material (WFR) have are not far behind.
For now, I have closed out my puts and covered calls on FSLR. I feel naked, but I suspect the wild volatility in solar stocks will give me ample opportunity for playing defense again at better prices.
Be careful out there!
Full disclosure: long FSLR
Dr. Duru Dr. Duru attended Stanford University, receiving a B.S. inMechanical Engineering, an honors degree in Values, Technology, Scienceand Society, and a Ph.D. in Engineering-Economic Systems (nowManagement, Science, and Society). He has done some independentconsulting in mathematical modeling, slogged through management consultingin product development and technology strategy, and is now pounding thepavement helping companies to improve the monetization of onlineadvertising through analytic software and rigorous analysis.
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!
- Florida Has Spoken: More Renewable Energy!
- Bloomberg Announces Insane NYC Climate Plan
- SunRun Wants Utilities to Innovate Rooftop Solar
- UW Professor Designs Solar Cells that Store Energy
- Buffet Bets Against Nuclear
- Squirrels: Solar’s Biggest Threat?
- Facebook’s Hydroelectric Data Center Opens in Sweden
- Renewable Energy Funding in South Africa