Dr. Pepper Goes LEED Gold Retrofit
Dr Pepper Snapple Group’s Plano, Texas headquarters are now LEED-Gold certified.
The extensive renovation will not only cut the building’s operating budget by 25%, but the upfront price of the retrofit will be paid back in under a year.
The building has also earned an EPA Energy Star for cutting 3.2 million kWh of energy from 2008-2011.
In addition to offices, Dr. Pepper’s headquarters contain a research and development center, and a data center, both of which complicate energy reduction measures.
Here are some of the things that contributed to the savings:
- Water Efficiency – water needed for landscaping irrigation was cut 50% by using water sensors
- Energy and Atmosphere - light meters that identified lighting efficiencies across the property resulted in saving over 2 million KWh of energy. Lights in exessively lit areas were removed, LEDs are used for exterior lighting, and lighting sensors are in common areas.
- Sustainable Sites - converted landscapint to native plants, which reduce the need for irrigation, live longer because they are better sited, control erosion, improve pest management and provide habitat.
- Materials Resources - invested in energy efficient equipment throughout the building, and will use EPEAT for computer purchases.
- Indoor Environmental Quality - 100% green cleaning products are used.
Dr. Pepper also has a LEED-Silver certification for its 850,000 square foot manufacturing and distribution center in Victorville, California. Its hub-and-spoke distribution system has eliminated the need for cross-country shipping, which the company calls a game changer.
Online since 1996, we provide global news and networking services to help green business grow. We cover all green business sectors including renewable energy, green building and green investing. Services include: Daily Green Business and Green Investor News; our leading green jobs service, Green Dream Jobs, a hands-on green investing newsletter, Progressive Investor; and networking services for green businesses that seek capital and partners.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- Glass and Green Building
- How China Will Transform The Energy Industry
- New Project Will Forecast Solar Generation
- In Focus: The Potential of Los Angeles Solar
- Tesla Reports Profit, Stock SKYROCKETS
- SolarCity Raises $500M
- Graphene That Redefines Electric Current
- NextEra Gobbles Up Smart Energy Capital
- Oil Prices and Renewable Energy
- 5 Promising Eco Careers
- In Focus: People Power!
- The EV Cordless Power Vehicle Charging System