While there are many areas where people may findfault with the Desertec Industrial Initiative (DII), you cannot faultthem for a lack of ambition.
Back in July 2009, twelve leading European firms announced a grandvision to build massive solar plants in the deserts of the Middle East& North Africa (MENA), with undersea cables transmitting theelectricity back to Europe using high voltage direct current (HVDC).
Total cost estimate: €350 billion (which works out to €3.50/W), plus another €50 billion for the required power lines (20 transmission lines of 5 GW each).
Greentech Media is an integrated online media company designed to deliver the highest-quality content in the industry, whether it is research, news or critical networking events. Greentech Media is headquartered in Cambridge, Mass., with operations in New York City, San Francisco and Munich.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- The Solar Vineyard House by Michael Jantzen
- Report: Solar PV Market to Recover by 2015
- Green Design Standards and the Construction Industry
- Converting Waste Heat Into Electricity Through Osmosis
- The Solar Canals of India
- In Focus: Sustainable Base
- New CPV Efficiency Record for Amonix
- Toyota Prius to be Replaced?
- Securitization and Renewable Energy
- The All-Electric Fiat 500e
- The Energy Supercomputer
- A Breakthrough or Just Another PV Module?