Chicago Gets Sustainable Parking Facility
HOK Architectshave completed a new parking garage in Chicago, which maximizes use ofthe city’s windy conditions. Christened the Greenway Self Park, the24-hour parking facility incorporates several sustainable featuresincluding wind turbines and a rainwater collection system. Moreover, the facility will also include plug-in station to recharge electric cars.
Standing 11 stories high, the energy-efficient garage is in pursuitof LEED Certification from the US Green Building Council. The southwestcorner of the garage is a 12-paired array of vertical turbines which are clearly visible to passers-by. Energy generated by the array is used to power the exterior wall lighting of the facility with excess energybeing transferred to the grid.
'EcoFriend' is an environmental blog. The idea behind EcoFriend is simple: to inform and educate consumers who love to possess the latest gadgets and products available in the market and who are also concerned about the environment around them.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- The Solar Vineyard House by Michael Jantzen
- Report: Solar PV Market to Recover by 2015
- Green Design Standards and the Construction Industry
- Converting Waste Heat Into Electricity Through Osmosis
- The Solar Canals of India
- In Focus: Sustainable Base
- New CPV Efficiency Record for Amonix
- Toyota Prius to be Replaced?
- Securitization and Renewable Energy
- The All-Electric Fiat 500e
- The Energy Supercomputer
- A Breakthrough or Just Another PV Module?