California Schools Save $220 Million Going Solar
The Mount Diablo Unified School District in Northern California is about to make a huge commitment to solar energy.
The school district and SunPower Corp. (NASDAQ:SPWR) recently celebrated the completion of 40 SunPower solar power systems that will be outfitted on schools and facilities throughout the district. 11 more systems will be completed by the end of the year, bringing the total number of solar systems to 51.
These systems are expected to save the school district a whopping $3 million per year in electricity costs, adding up to a savings of $220 million over the next 30 years.
The projects will have a cumulative capacity of 12.1 MW and create 140 new jobs during the construction phase. The school district expects this whole project could bring $24 million to the regional economy through the use of local subcontractors and suppliers.
The SunPower systems will be installed on rooftops and shade structures in parking lots and hard court areas. All of the systems will be outfitted with SunPower’s high efficiency solar panels, the most efficient panels currently on the market.
In addition, the installation of these projects will eliminate nearly 400,000 tons of CO2 emissions over 30 years, which is the equivalent of 70,450 cars leaving the road. The systems were financed in part by the Clean Renewable Energy Bonds, which were obtained under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. The new solar power systems are expected to up and running before the end of the year.
SunPower Helps California Schools Save $220 Million originally appeared in Green Chip Stocks. Green Chip Review is a free 2x-per-week newsletter, is the first advisory to focus exclusively on investments in alternative and renewable energies.
Green Chip Stocks Editors & Contributors Jeff Siegel Jeff Siegel is the managing editor of Green Chip Stocks, an independent investment research service that focuses exclusively on renewable energy and organic and natural food markets. Nick Hodge One of the bright young minds in today's cleantech industry, Nick is putting his knowledge of nascent green markets to use in several ways... Nick is the co-author of a best-selling book and has interviewed dozens of times for TV and Web; his keen insight, uncanny foresight, and global contacts have led to double- and triple-digit wins for his readers, time after time.
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!
- Florida Has Spoken: More Renewable Energy!
- Bloomberg Announces Insane NYC Climate Plan
- SunRun Wants Utilities to Innovate Rooftop Solar
- UW Professor Designs Solar Cells that Store Energy
- Buffet Bets Against Nuclear
- Squirrels: Solar’s Biggest Threat?
- Facebook’s Hydroelectric Data Center Opens in Sweden
- Renewable Energy Funding in South Africa