California’s Solar Initiative: BACK ON!
After running out of funds in December 2010, California’s Solar Initiative program is now up and running again.
On Sept. 22, Governor Jerry Brown singed SB 585, sponsored by State Senator Christine Kehoe (D), into law. The bill raised the cap on total funds for the California solar rebate program.
Brown chose to sign the bill not at the Capitol, but at Marshall Elementary School in Fowler, Calif. The school recently completed a solar installation proposal with TerraVerde Renewable Partners, a California-based solar developer.
The system, according to TerraVerde, is expected to save Fowler Unified School District $439,000 in total electricity costs in the first year. The money saved will go to the district’s general fund and should grow along with electricity rates.
“California schools and the solar industry know that there is support across the political spectrum for programs that implement green energy saving solutions,” said Rick Brown, PhD, TerraVerde’s President in a press release. “Working together, they were able to gather more than 2/3 votes for Senator Kehoe’s important piece of legislation.”
Over a five year period, TerraVerde estimates the savings to be $2,321,000, $13 million over 25 years. The project is slated for 2012.
According to TerraVerde, Marshall Elementary’s solar system will conserve over one million gallons of water a year. Also, the school will provide displays with real-time information about the production of electricity from the solar panels.
Image courtesy of Treehugger International.
Cleanenergyauthority.com provides access to a nationwide network of local service providers for quotes on the installation of Solar (Photovoltaic) Panels, Solar Thermal for hot water and pool heating. Cleanenergyauthority.com was founded in 2008 to provide news and rebate and incentive as well as a convenient online comparison shopping resource for consumers seeking Clean Energy alternatives for their home or business. Articles l Homepage
- America’s Problem with Solar
- PV @ $0.37 per watt in 2017?
- Fuel Cells in Outer Space!
- Electric Vehicle Wireless Charging is Here
- New York City Gets 25 Solar Streetchargers
- Will Electric Racers dominate at Pikes Peak?
- Improving Solar Cells with Quantum-Dot Microscopy
- Reduce Your Global Footprint and Energy Consumption
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!