Brooklyn Yard Scraper Building Powered by Solar
Rogers Marvel Architects have designed a striking proposal for the redevelopment of the Brooklyn House of Detention, by converting the city-owned land into a mixed-usebuilding that carries the texture of Brooklyn into vertical urban form.
Christened the Brooklyn Yard Scraper, the sustainable buildingprovides space for commercial, residential and recreational needs whilereducing its impact on the environment. The lower portion of theskyscraper is a diverse combination of social, commercial andeducational uses, while the upper floors carry houses that are poweredby renewable energy. The sustainable building also includes a publicschool, institutes, library, justice center and several green publicareas.
The housing units are stacked atop one another, each orientingitself for suitable sunlight to maximize energy generation. Moreover,each key program element is linked to a yard, in either enclosed toopen-air horizontal orientation. Not linked with the planar grid ofstreets, the new brownstones rise into the sky creating a uniquevertical composition.
'EcoFriend' is an environmental blog. The idea behind EcoFriend is simple: to inform and educate consumers who love to possess the latest gadgets and products available in the market and who are also concerned about the environment around them.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- In Focus: Vertical Farming
- Why Green Buildings Work
- FUTUREWATCH: 3D NAND Flash Memory
- STUDY: Humans Caused Climate Change
- Nickel Iron Battery
- The Solar Vineyard House by Michael Jantzen
- Report: Solar PV Market to Recover by 2015
- Green Design Standards and the Construction Industry
- Converting Waste Heat Into Electricity Through Osmosis
- The Solar Canals of India
- In Focus: Sustainable Base
- New CPV Efficiency Record for Amonix