BP Solar energised by utility scale Verve project
BP Solar is partnering with Verve Energy as the lead contractor tobuild Australia’s largest ever grid-connected solar power plant: a 10megawatt (MW) utility scale solar photovoltaic (PV) plant in Geraldton,Western Australia. Solar PV panels create emission free electricitydirect from the sun.
“BP Solar is delighted to be partnering with Verve Energy in developing and delivering Australia’s first utilityscale solar PV plant and for having our skills and experience inbuilding projects of this scale recognised in Australia.” said TonyStocken, Director of BP Solar Australia.
“With funding supportfrom the WA Government, Royalties for Regions Scheme and the Office ofEnergy, this project will deliver a long term supply of clean energy tothe communities in and around Geraldton and contribute to the WAGovernment’s 20 percent renewable energy target by 2020.” said Stocken.
The project is valued at over $A50 million with BP Solar carrying out theengineering and construction (EPC) activity and the operation andmaintenance of the plant once constructed. Work will begin in early 2011 supporting around 50 jobs during the construction period. Commissioning is planned for late 2011 and the plant will support three full-timejobs when operational.
Significantly, this will be the largestsolar array ever to be connected to the grid in Australia, providingclean and secure energy supply and reducing greenhouse gas emissions by25,000 tonnes per year.
BP Solar will be deploying itsinternational experience and unrivalled expertise and strong record inthe local market to ensure the project is completed successfully.
BP Solar is also actively pursuing growth opportunities and in May 2010was successfully shortlisted for the Federal Governments Solar Flagships programme. The BP Solar Flagships bid is being finalised withsubmissions due in Dec. 2010. The Verve project is a natural complementto the Federal Programme and is a significant step towards delivering alow carbon future.
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!
- Florida Has Spoken: More Renewable Energy!
- Bloomberg Announces Insane NYC Climate Plan
- SunRun Wants Utilities to Innovate Rooftop Solar
- UW Professor Designs Solar Cells that Store Energy
- Buffet Bets Against Nuclear
- Squirrels: Solar’s Biggest Threat?
- Facebook’s Hydroelectric Data Center Opens in Sweden
- Renewable Energy Funding in South Africa