Battery-dependent Future Cars
The battery on an electric car is extremely heavy. More batteries areneeded on the vehicle in order to extend its range. However, addedbatteries create added weight, which does not extend the range, draining the battery in the same amount of time.
Because of this, Volvo engineers have teemed with scientists at Imperial College in London to try to increase the power of electric cars without increasing the weight. Currently, the group is testing a compositeblend of carbon fibers and polymer resin that can store and charge moreenergy at a faster rate.
If the composite is successful, it could be used to create the body ofthe electric vehicle. The outer shell of the car would act as thebattery. And with the composite not requiring any chemical processes tobe produced, that means the entire car acting as the battery wouldoutlast traditional batter cells created from a chemical reaction. Still in its early stages, scientists hope the technology can start byreplacing the floor of the car’s truck
The Open Energy Information initiative (OpenEI) is a platform toconnect the world’s energy data. It is a linked open data platformbringing together energy information to provide improved analyses,unique visualizations, and real-time access to data. OpenEI followsguidelines set by the White House’s Open Government Initiative , whichis focused on transparency, collaboration, and participation. OpenEIstrives to provide open access to this energy information, which willspur creativity and drive innovation in the energy sector.Articles l Homepage
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- Securitization and Renewable Energy
- The All-Electric Fiat 500e
- The Energy Supercomputer
- A Breakthrough or Just Another PV Module?
- Bloom Energy Sees Revenue Drop in Q1
- Catching Photosynthesis in the Act
- Top 5 Ways The U.S Military is Utililizing Renewable Energy
- New Solar Technology to Increase Efficiency
- The Rise Of The Green Machines
- Solar Savings: Tax Credits and Solar
- Australian Scientists Printing Solar Cells Down Under
- Why are Auto Dealers Hating on Tesla?