Apple Considers Solar Illumination Patent for Display Screens $AAPL
Liquid crystal display (LCD) screens can often be difficult to viewin direct sunlight or when used outside. However, one computer companymay have just the solution.
A patent application from Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL),published last week, describes techniques for capturing light fromexternal sources to illuminate electronic device display screens. The External Light Illumination of Display Screens’ patent describesthe apparatus and methods for “collecting external light to illuminatedisplay screens of electronic devices” including:
- A cylindrical or hexahedral light harness which “may be coupled toan external light input or collector.”
- A reflector positioned towards or away from the display to reflectexternal light towards the screen. The reflector could be used behindthe screen to reflect the light towards the screen. The reflector couldalso be released to rotate away from the screen by pushing a button orusing a “wrist flick motion.” Additionally, the reflector can bedeveloped as a removable device.
- A translucent surface may allow external light to pass through toilluminate the screen.
- A combination of all three methods.
In addition to sunlight, external light sources including accessorylight bulbs or a “centralized illumination system in a vehicle cabin”could also be utilized.
Image courtesy of malagent
EnergyBoom is a global leader in news information about the renewable energy sector, offering expert analysis to keep you on the cutting edge of the renewable energy world. From public policy and financial analysis to company profiles to social commentary and the basics, EnergyBoom is your 360° view of the renewable energy world. Our contributors scour the globe daily for the latest news and information delivering insight and analysis, covering everything from new technologies to breaking news.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- Converting Waste Heat Into Electricity Through Osmosis
- The Solar Canals of India
- In Focus: Sustainable Base
- New CPV Efficiency Record for Amonix
- Toyota Prius to be Replaced?
- Securitization and Renewable Energy
- The All-Electric Fiat 500e
- The Energy Supercomputer
- A Breakthrough or Just Another PV Module?
- Bloom Energy Sees Revenue Drop in Q1
- Catching Photosynthesis in the Act
- Top 5 Ways The U.S Military is Utililizing Renewable Energy