A Tesla SUV? $TSLA
Following the planned 2012 release of Tesla Motors’ highlyanticipated Model S sedan, CEO Elon Musk just announced that Tesla willrelease an electric-powered SUV just 2 years later: the Model X. TheModel X will use the same “adaptable common platform” as the Model S,but will boast a slightly more specialized battery pack. It’s excitingnews for followers of green technology and energy issues in the broadest sense.
But what does this have to do with solar energy, you ask?
Transferring from cars that run on oil to cars that run onelectricity only makes an environmental impact if the fuel you use torun your new car is cleaner than the fuel you used to run the old one.In short, if you get all your electrical power for your Tesla from coal, then your environmental impact is not so different from someone driving a gasoline-dependent car. You might help reduce dependence on foreignoil, but the dirty electricity is still problematic. That’s where solarcomes in.
Elon Musk, Tesla Motors’ CEO, explains in a company blog post:
…the overarching purpose of Tesla Motors (and the reason I am funding the company) is to help expedite the move from amine-and-burn hydrocarbon economy towards a solar electric economy,which I believe to be the primary, but not exclusive, sustainablesolution.
Telsa’s amazing strides in making our transportation greener isfueled by a desire to make our overall energy use more sustainable.Solar energy, along with other renewable energy sources, plays atremendous part in setting us up to achieve this goal.
Search 26k+ Solar Articles
- Top 5 Ways The U.S Military is Utililizing Renewable Energy
- New Solar Technology to Increase Efficiency
- The Rise Of The Green Machines
- Solar Savings: Tax Credits and Solar
- Australian Scientists Printing Solar Cells Down Under
- Why are Auto Dealers Hating on Tesla?
- Ernie Moniz To Lead the U.S. DOE
- Glass and Green Building
- How China Will Transform The Energy Industry
- New Project Will Forecast Solar Generation
- In Focus: The Potential of Los Angeles Solar
- Tesla Reports Profit, Stock SKYROCKETS