4 California Prisons Go Solar
More than 83,000 solar panels will generate 25 megawatts (MW) of electricity a year, saving taxpayers over $57 million over 20 years and offsetting a billion pounds of CO2.
SunEdison pays for construction and maintenance, and the prison locked in a low electricity rate for 20 years.
“These projects not only help the state save money during these lean economic times but will help stimulate the economy with new construction,” says Chris Meyer, Director of Facility Planning, Construction and Management Division for California’s Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.
Chuckawalla Valley State Prison and Ironwood State Prison near Blythe each have a 1 MW solar PV system, installed in 2006 and 2008 respectively. They provide nearly 25% of the prisons’ total electrical demand.
Learn about solar at California prisons:
Online since 1996, we provide global news and networking services to help green business grow. We cover all green business sectors including renewable energy, green building and green investing. Services include: Daily Green Business and Green Investor News; our leading green jobs service, Green Dream Jobs, a hands-on green investing newsletter, Progressive Investor; and networking services for green businesses that seek capital and partners.
- America’s Problem with Solar
- PV @ $0.37 per watt in 2017?
- Fuel Cells in Outer Space!
- Electric Vehicle Wireless Charging is Here
- New York City Gets 25 Solar Streetchargers
- Will Electric Racers dominate at Pikes Peak?
- Improving Solar Cells with Quantum-Dot Microscopy
- Reduce Your Global Footprint and Energy Consumption
- Solar on Breweries Across the U.S
- How Green Windows Provide Energy Efficiency
- Solar + Cloud Computing: Google’s Project Loon
- Wood as a Green Material
- In Focus: Green Engineering Advancements
- The Electric Vehicle Market in 10 Years
- Panasonic: 100M Li-Ion Tesla Batteries Ship This Month
- In Focus: India’s Energy Ties with Iran
- New Renewable Energy Projects Approved by Obama Adminstration
- The Solar Robots are Coming!