As reported in an April 30, 2012 Environmental Leader article, 72 percent of US companies say sustainability influences their purchasing decisions and is an important factor when selecting a service provider. Outside of the US, 91 percent of the companies polled said sustainability was part of their purchasing decisions. These numbers are from a survey called 2012 Rackspace Green Survey from cloud computing firm Rackspace Hosting.
- 26 percent of respondents said cost considerations outweighed environmental factors when purchasing products and services;
- 54 percent of companies said when two purchasing choices are equal (including cost), the greener product or service is better;
- 20 percent said when two purchasing choices are not equal, greener is better;
- 17 percent of companies said sustainability is a standard part of their request for information, proposal or quote system;
- 59 percent of companies said they consider sustainability periodically for specific types of purchases.